Ellis: Yasmin, Aunty Mabel and The Jem Effect [edited]

Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Yasmin, Aunty Mabel and The Jem Effect

Ellis

"No way," Astrid's eyes bulged out of its sockets.

"I know."

"Holy shit," spluttered Calista on the bagel she was currently enjoying. Even though I disapproved of her potty mouth and her affinity of swearing like a sailor, I had to agree that her choice of words could not have been more formally and wholly appropriate.

"I know."

"You've become taller."

"I know."

"Is that even possible?" Astrid looked at Calista for any evidence.

"I don't know." I stared at the mirror like the person standing in front of me wasn't me. My reflection hasn't changed, except for the fact that I've bumped up two inches. I called Calista and Astrid to share the joyous news and they didn't believe it until they arrived at my house for legitimate evidence.

"At least you won't slap Jem for saying you look like a twelve-year-old anymore," Calista tried- a valiant attempt at a compliment, considering...well, Calista.

It was an ordinary Sunday with Astrid lying on my bed and Calista by the window ledge, eating her bagel and jutting grey smoke out past the window from her cigarette like a chimney because there was no way in Hell, she was getting rancid cigarette smell on my brand new Egyptian cotton sheets. Yesterday, after Jem and I split the tiramisu (terrible, terrible mistake on both of our accounts), we took a McDonalds' run and chowed on globalised consumeristic albeit sinfully delicious cheeseburgers and Jem dropped me off at my house before gunning the engine into the night. The party guests had left by the time I was home but neither Paige or Dad noticed or cared I was home. The afternoon and dinner we had were etched in my mind the whole night, refusing to go away. Even at the adversity of my Business Studies concluding paragraph.

Astrid cleared her throat, diffusion our speechless daydreams. "Other than your height, I need help in differential equations. I don't get-"

Knock. Knock.

"Put it out!" I hissed at Calista.

Calista was abysmally confused: "But Lula's fine with me smoking."

"It could be my Aunt!"

"Oh, is the bitch you were-"

"Calista!" Astrid and I whisper-screamed. With the ammunition of pillows Astrid was armed with, she chucked a pillow at the place where it would hurt the most: Calista's blindingly blonde head.

"Ow!" Calista yelped, rubbing her head before glaring at Astrid, "Jesus, what have they been feeding you, anorexic cheerleaders? Steroids?"

"Before I rip you apart, Calista!"