Ellis: Road Trips [edited]

Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Road Trips

Ellis

"Is it me or do you seem to disappear off to random places we don't know about?" was what Calista decided to open our conversations with Girls' Day Out as we loitered around by the bags displayed on the outside racks of the boutique on the outside perimeters of the mall. Calista's short blonde hair mirrored my bob- except hers were choppier, edgier and a whole lot more Taylor Momsen. Despite being over ninety degrees, Calista was dressed all black, head to toe in black shorts, black turtle neck crop top and black timberlands. We all had no idea how she was still alive, much less standing without collapsing from the suffocating heat.

"What do you mean?" I asked as I picked up a fake leather hobo bag and held it up for Astrid to see her opinion. She made a face and shook her head, which her fringed tasseled hat shivered in a series of flurry black motions. I left it back on the rack. Astrid, in contrast to Calista's punk-rock get-up, was very hippie-centric today, with a loose-flowing pleated maxi dress, garnet-embossed sandals, and tons of earth-metal rings. I was sporting my casual striped Ralph Lauren button-down, which was very 'old Harvard me', but because it was so hot, I undid some of the buttons and knotted it so it rides up my stomach a little, exposing some skin. Scallop shorts and simple Mary Jane flats followed suit, with a customary D&G headband.

"You know," said Calista irritably, as if I was supposed to know but truly I didn't. "Yesterday I stopped by your house. Lula said you were out. And the day before that. And the day before that. Do you have, like, brand new summer best friends to hang out with?"

"What?" My eyes widened as I held back a brittle laugh. "Is that what you think?"

"Yeah," chipped in Astrid, scratching of a peel of paint from her neon orange chipped nails. "You seem so out of it this whole summer."

"Well, I've just been..." I racked my brain for a suitable answer, something other than well, I've been going off to places to make out with Jem that's why. "Trying to recoup my Harvard scholarship request."

"Oh Ellis," sighed Astrid, "You'll get in. They'll accept you this time."

"Yeah, well, it doesn't matter," I said brusquely, walking over to the necklace stand where Calista was browsing for accessories. "I mean if I don't get in, there's plenty of other options."

Calista dropped the chain necklace she was holding and gawked at me. "What do you mean by 'other options'?"

I shrugged. "I'm not too worried about getting into Harvard."

"Who are you?" demanded Calista, choking on her spit. "And what have you done to Ellis 'Harvard' Chan?"

I laughed, "She changed and realized there are bigger things than Harvard"

"Well," Astrid wrapped me in a tight hug from behind, squeezing my air ducts, "Tell her that we love this version better."

I grinned into Astrid's honey blonde hair, "Very well then." I made my way over to a rack of fifty-percent sale items and scrounged up a pair of well-worn ragged jeans; the type Calista would really like.