Ellis: Finally Falling [edited]

Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Finally Falling

Ellis

Passport?

Check. My pen scribbled a tick beside the word.

Lucky headband?

Check. I spotted the Tiffany box, protecting my precious headbands, within the crevices of my corduroy jeans.

Itinerary?

Check. I slapped the folder of documents besides the Gucci leather suitcase.

What else? I pensively pulled on the fat on my chin, surveying the contents of my propped open suitcase, which was elevated on the surface of my bed. I tucked in the corners of a silk blouse on one of the folded collection of clothes, obsessively smoothing out of its wrinkles gracefully when Lula entered my room with a fresh pile of laundered clothes. It was a week until we were flying to China but I wanted to be extra prepared. 'Too predisposed' wasn't part of my argot, it was a word that didn't exist in Ellis Chan's dictionary. Those teenagers who slacked and give room to procrastination was not me. Laziness caused me to lose my grip on control and I preferred situations when I was in control because everything wrong in mg universe was right, chaos would be turned into order and there'd be no allowances for laziness or procrastination, no chances of betrayal and disappointment.

"Need more to pack, Miss Ellis?"

"Oh?" I mumbled distractedly, trying to adjust all of my toiletries in a straight line. "Yeah sure."

She promptly delivered it on my bed and beamed at me as she took my unsaid invitation to sit at the foot of my bed. Lula's weather-beaten tan contrasted starkly with the pearly white sheets. She was dressed in her maid's uniform- another brand new 'change' Paige had enforced in our house, demanding all the maids to wear uniforms, like they were all slaves or something. "I still can't believe we're going to China."

Me too. My body was practically quivering with the impatience to leave. It seemed like just yesterday I was still wondering where my mother would've been this whole six months of a pink nightmare (known as Paige) and now I knew exactly where she was- to the pinnacle where I had an address. A jolt electrified the pit of my stomach and for a horrorstruck moment, I realized I would be meeting my mother for the first time in six months, a person I've been so obsessed with finding and I've never even narrowed it down to what I wanted to ask or say- there were so many things. Firstly was why didn't you ever call then it would be followed by or email or sent a letter or even facebook me for the love of God, Mom.

I didn't even know where I would begin because there were so much it was starting to feel overwhelming. My mind swarmed with ideas of what to start with but it distracted me from the current task ahead: packing. Maybe it was a weird quirk but I just liked packing- well, I loved anything with organising. People deemed it as an arduous task, scrupulously folding and smoothing out wrinkles, humming Beethoven as I properly aligned the small shampoo bottles according to colour and size, as well as its purpose and separate the hair soaps from the facial things. It was something I do to stop from cracking under the pressure of perfect grades and perfect tasks, it was something I do to keep me from going insane when mum and dad were undergoing their divorce. I didn't know why but organising and grouping things together granted me a sense of serenity like everything else could be out of its order and burning and there'd be anarchy with eating zombies but as long as I'm cleaning something or making sure something was neat I'd be fine.