Ellis: Now Everybody Knows (EDITED)

dedicated to sealevel for her second-place entry in the teen helpline one-shot! 

Chapter 39

Now Everybody Knows

Ellis

"I was thinking either Britney Spears' 'Baby Hit Me One More Time' schoolgirl look or Grease's Sandy leather tight outfit," Astrid was saying as I washed up in the bathroom, cleaning my hands. "Or I could go for Daisy Buchanan in the Great Gatsby or..."

"Have you ever read The Great Gatsby?" wondered Calista critically.

Astrid blushed furiously as Calista eyed Astrid sceptically. Astrid tugged at one of her hair ties that kept her fishtail braid intact, with some loose brown strands falling out. "No, but I love the movie-"

Calista bumped her head against the tiled walls. "How are we friends again?"

"Oh shut up," Astrid snapped and then turned to give Calista a once-over. Calista was perpetually shrouded in black so it was no surprise she decided to make October the month where all her clothes had some form of skulls on them. Today was no different. She wore a black tank top with an asymmetrical curved hem, a skull pattern and distressed jeans that revealed more skin than what Principal Sullivan liked when he lectured Calista- or rather, lectured Calista in front of us. "What are you wearing, Dracula?"

"No," retorted Calista, "I hate vampires. Twilight ruined them for me."

"Then what?"

"I might not come."

Astrid and I stopped whatever we were idly doing- Astrid replaiting her braid and me scrupulously rubbing my hands with cheap toilet paper. "What do you mean you're not going?" I asked incredulously.

"It's so cliche." Calista shrugged and brushed her thick heavy blonde bangs out of her eyes. I still couldn't get used to her bangs- they made her look good, admittedly, edgier and punk-rock, which was Calista's whole scene, but they made her look...not Calista. As if her outward appearance had matured and grown up, like a College Calista, and I was stuck looking high school.

"What, Dracula?"

"No," Calista said, and grimaced as she spat the word: "Prom."

"Yeah, but it's like the last high school event."

"So?" Calista shrugged, "I've been to the last three, which is more times than I wanted to go."

"Come on, Lista," complained Astrid, pouting adorably, "It's our last prom and it'll be fun! It's Halloween, your favourite time of the year!"

"Fine," Calista relented, "But only if you don't make me dance to those stupid sucky radio songs that people justify as 'music'."

"Deal."