chapter one

CHAPTER ONE: A SURPRISE ATTACK

- PRESENT TIME, Nova

Nova walked through the library as she scanned the shelves for books she might've found interesting. Her mind slowly thought back on the earthquake that had happened the morning the day before, before deciding it wasn't too much to worry about.

She squinted her eyes slightly as she read the summary of a book. She grimaced, shaking her head as she set the book back on the shelf.

"Is there anything specific that you're looking for?" Nova turned her head to the sound of a soft voice, coming face to face with an older woman. She must be the one who worked there.

Nova shrugged, "not really." Her fingers danced along the spines of the books as she huffed, "anything... fantasy, I guess. Or maybe Sci-Fi."

"Oh, I have a few in the back that you might like, I can go get them for you." The woman suggested. Nova hummed, might as well check them out.

She nodded with a smile, "sure, I'll take a look." The woman then smiled back at Nova, waving her over to a door.

"You just wait here." She mumbled. Nova stood by the door awkwardly as the woman muttered to herself while searching for the books in the small room full of boxes. She let out a breathy chuckle, catching Nova's attention as she turned her head to face her. "That was some earthquake, huh?"

Nova nodded slowly, "yeah." She began to pick at her nail polish out of boredom, "I spilled my coffee on my shirt. Ugh."

The woman huffed, "oh, that must suck. But what happened to-" she sucked in a breath, clearly tired from searching through boxes. "What happened to me was... well, I almost fell over. Right down the stairs, but I managed to catch myself on the railing. Thank God, too, I didn't wanna have to pay another hospital bill." She let out a few delirious giggles.

"Uh... do you need help... or-" Nova went to step in the room, but the woman just waved her back.

"No, no, no. I'm okay." She pulled out one more box, "the books are definitely in this one."

Nova frowned-then her ears began to ring softly. In the distance she could hear the loud sounds of screaming. The screams were desperate and Nova felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up.

She looked over to the librarian, who didn't seem to be hearing any of the destruction that was outside. Just as Nova saw her pick up the books she had wanted, Nova ran away before she could turn around to face her, feeling the slightest bit guilty.

Nova's heels clicked against the hardwood floor in the library, causing multiple people to glare at her. She looked at each of them in disbelief as they ignored the panicked screams from across the street-or maybe they couldn't hear it. Nova had always had better hearing than most.

She exited the library, tilting her head as the screaming had stopped. Was it all in my head? She practically spun in circles, attempting to see the person who was screaming for their life just seconds ago.

Her ears perked up at an eerie sound, shivers ran down her spine. The high pitched noise began to give her a headache, and so she turned to face whatever was causing it.

Her eyes widened more than she thought that they could as she stared at the familiar creature that was growling across the street. Her eyes landed on the claws it had; they scraped against the street, sparks flew up. The sound persisted for a few moments before silence fell between the two of them like a thick blanket.