chapter seven

CHAPTER SEVEN: GOODBYE, GILLY

"I don't like this place." Thena commented. She sat between Gil and Nova, the three of them leaning their backs against a rock as they gazed at the forest around them.

"Druig needs to think and Sersi wants us to wait, so..." Gilgamesh sighed softly. "We wait."

Thena frowned softly, "I couldn't recognize myself in Sprites illusions." She muttered. Nova turned to face her. Her gaze was on a small rock in front of her.

"Those were the good old days." Gil sent her a small half smile, and Thena attempted to smile back.

"What if I can't fight anymore?" Her voice was eerily soft as she rung her hands together.

"Of course you can." Nova furrowed her brows, "if anyone can fight, it's you."

"What if I hurt you again?" She turned to face Nova. Memories flashed through her mind of the first time Mahd Wy'ry hit her. Almost all of the Eternals had been injured, but Ajak helped them get better.

"You won't." If Nova was certain of anything, it was that Thena wouldn't hurt her.

"Come on, you know who you are." Gil sighed, "you're Thena, goddess of war."

Thena smiled softly, a laugh sounding from her throat. "Thank you."

"For what?" Gil frowned in confusion.

"For always taking care of me." Her smile widened the slightest bit.

"Oh." Gilgamesh smiled fondly at his closest friend. "I would do it again." He paused. "On any planet."

Nova frowned softly, "I'm sorry that I didn't check up on you guys. You know, not that you needed it... but I could've kept in touch."

And she meant it. Nova had shut herself out of the world. She didn't have friends, or family... for the longest time. She had been so lonely. Now, she only felt regret.

Gil reached over Thena, placing a hand on Nova's knee. "It's all right." He smiled softly, "it's good to see you now, at least."

"Ikaris!" Sersi's scream echoed throughout the forest, the sounds of branches in the trees snapping caught Nova's ears. "Ikaris! Ikaris!"

Someone muttered something in the distance, then Nova heard the screeches of a Deviant. Shit. "Watch out! Clear the camp!"

Nova was immediately on her feet, rushing towards Sersi's voice, leaving Thena and Gil behind while hoping that they would be safe.

Nova could hear them fighting as she ran forwards. She was going as fast as she could... on feet. Nova let out a groan of frustration as a golden mist surrounded her hands, lifting her up as she looked for the others.

When she found an opening in the village, she quickly crashed down to the ground, golden mist leaving her body and melting into the ground to soften the fall.

She looked up, watching as Kingo fired blasts at a Deviant, eventually throwing one big enough to send the Deviant flying into a building, causing it to break into pieces.

"Very nice sir!" Ikaris, Sersi, Sprite and Nova turned around to find Karun hiding behind a tree with a camera in his hand and a wide smile plastered on his face.

"Are you mental?" Kingo's eyes widened as he waved his hands around in disbelief. "Hide!"

"We need action sequences!" Karun argued as he attempted to get a better shot of the Deviant that was breaking free from the rubble of the fallen building, flames growing on the wood that surrounded it. "Sir!"