chapter two

CHAPTER TWO: THE SPHERE

It didn't take long for everyone to decide that going to Ajak next would be the best decision. She was their leader-the Prime Eternal-she would know what to do.

The car ride was long, and to be honest, Nova slept for most of the drive.

Ajak lived in the middle of nowhere, which sounded peaceful but it wasn't helpful when what they needed to talk about was urgent.

Nova's eyes fluttered open when someone began to lightly shake her shoulder. She turned her head to see Sersi looking over at her from the drivers seat, "we're here." She said softly.

"Okay." Nova yawned, opening the door to get out of the car. The four of them slowly walked up the small steps, taking note of how the front door was wide open. The cold air blew inside carelessly. Nova quickly put her hands in her pockets before they got too cold.

"Hello?" Sersi called out, glancing around the house. "Ajak?" There was no response to her calls. The silence that filled the house was unlikely to happen, as far as Nova knew. Ajak should've been out there in a heartbeat.

After inspecting the house, they slowly made their way outside. Unsure of what they would find, she sighed softly as she hugged her arms around herself tightly.

A soft gasp escaped Sersi's throat, causing Nova to look up at her. "What- oh... no." Nova was about to ask what the issue was, but a body laying in the middle of the yard caught her eye. Her heart dropped.

"Ajak!" Sersi called, running over to the woman who laid lifelessly on the ground.

No.

The four of them surrounded the woman. Nova's hands slowly began to shake. They were too late. Next to her, Sprite collapsed onto her knees as she let a tear roll down her face.

"It was a deviant." Ikaris broke the silence, he was the only one left standing as he stood behind the three of them who were hunched over Ajak's body.

Nova stared down at Ajak in complete shock, listening to the sound of Sprite rushing off into the small cabin. Ikaris quickly followed behind the small girl, while Sersi stayed by Nova's side.

A tear fell from her eye, but she wiped it quickly with a trembling hand. Nova let out a shaky sigh as she softly held Ajak's cold hand. Her frown deepened at the feeling.

"Bye, Ajak." Sersi said in a soft voice. The two of them were suddenly startled when the light behind them began to flicker. The flickering stopped when the light went all the way out, leaving them in the darkness.

"Nova, look." Sersi whispered, and the other girl quickly turned back around and tilted her head at the small sphere that rose from Ajak's body. It was the only sorce of light in the darkness.

Sersi and Nova watched the sphere with curious eyes, but the moment was cut short when the sphere melted into Sersi, disappearing in a flash.

She looked as if she was in a trance, her eyes focusing on nothing in particular. "Sersi?" Nova began to shake her shoulders, "are you okay?" She tried again, but Sersi didn't respond.

"What's going on?" Sprite asked, her and Ikaris rushing out of the house at the sound of Nova's panicked voice.

Nova stammered, "I don't know... it just-"

"Sersi?" Sprite began to shake Sersi's shoulders like Nova had done, "Sersi? Are you all right?"

Sersi was suddenly pulled from her trance, her eyes darting around as confusion washed over her features. "What happened, Sersi?" Ikaris asked, taking one of her hands in his.

Sersi glanced down at Ajak's body, panting heavily. "The sphere that Ajak used to talk with Arishem, it came out of her body and... went inside me."

Ikaris leaned closer in curiosity, "did you talk with Arishem?"

Sersi nodded, "yes, he said..." she paused, frowning softly, "'it's almost time'."

"Can you try talking to him again?" Sprite asked.

Sersi shrugged, a confused expression on her face, "I don't know how." She admitted softly.

"But she chose you to replace her." Sprite reasoned. "And she gave you the sphere."

"Hold on, Sprite." Ikaris held a hand up, "are you sure you talked with Arishem?" He turned back to Sersi.

"What else would it be?" Sprite raised a brow.

Ikaris pursed his lips, "Mahd Wy'ry." He suggested, a grim look on his face.

Nova's eyes widened, "are you serious? I'm right here and I saw the sphere." Ikaris opened his mouth to speak, but soon realized that he couldn't. Nova was right-she'd been here the entire time, and she wouldn't lie. Not about that.

Her glare stayed on Ikaris for a long time until she turned back to Sersi, deciding to ignore her old friend.

-----
lizzie speaks...

i'm sorry these chapters are rly short so far... it's only the beginning of the fic so they'll get longer as we get through the movie (i hope?)