chapter eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN: DON'T KILL HER

Nova sat with her back against the wall, a distant look in her face. She had never hated Ikaris more than she did now. He killed Ajak, and he lied about it. The entire time when they were driving to her house, he knew what they would find-and he said it must've been a Deviant.

Nova wanted to kill him.

"Why did Sprite go with Ikaris?" Makkari questioned, bringing Nova out of her daze. Nova thought about answering, but she couldn't figure out why Sprite would do such a thing.

Kingo sighed softly, "because she loves him." Nova's eyes widened as he pursed his lips, and then furrowed his brows, "oh, you guys didn't pick up on that?"

Nova slowly shook her head, "honestly... no." Then she hummed, "makes sense, though."

Kingo pointed a figure to her as if saying, 'exactly'. Then, he looked to the ground, "he really fooled us, didn't he?" He looked over to Karun, who held his camera by his side (how many cameras did that man have?). "Karun, let's go."

Nova tilted her head, "what, are you leaving?"

Phastos glanced up at Kingo with a raised brow, "wait, where the hell are you going?"

"I can't help you guys." Kingo sucked in a breath, "I still think Ikaris is right." Nova frowned at his words.

Phastos pursed his lips, "so that's it, huh? Just gonna follow him."

Kingo quickly shook his head, "I love the people of this planet, but... if you stop the emergence, you are preventing so many other worlds like this one from being created. I still have faith in Arishem... but I refuse to hurt any of you for my beliefs."

While Nova didn't want Kingo to leave, she still respected his choice. He may have disagreed, but he knew where the line was-and he wouldn't be crossing it anytime soon.

A silence filled the room, and Kingo took that as his cue to leave. Makkari stopped him by putting a hand on his shoulder to grab his attention. "We need you."

Kingo sent her a soft smile, "even with my help, we're no match." Nova only sighed. "It's Ikaris." He began to make his way out of the Domo, but stopped halfway, turning to face the others once more. "But... I hope to see you on the next planet." And with that, he left.

Karun was about to follow Kingo, but stopped to speak in a different language. "Thank you for all you've done... for humanity." He chuckled softly, "it's been a great honour. I will miss you all." Tears pricked in the corner of his eyes, which caused Nova to frown.

Karun glanced at Druig, who nodded at him in return. Karun nodded back, before following after Kingo with a small frown.

"Look," Druig spoke up, "if I'm gonna get myself killed going up against Ikaris... we'll need to have a backup plan."

Phastos sighed, waving his hands around in frustration. "All of our powers, even if they're amplified, are not enough to kill a Celestial."

Druig raised a brow at the comment, "well, Sersi did turn a deviant into a tree."

Nova smiled softly, "it's true, she did. And it was so cool."

Phastos paused, looking at Sersi with wide eyes. "I'm sorry, what?" Sersi just stared back at him with her mouth open slightly. "You didn't wanna tell me that?"

Makkari looked at the girl in shock, "you've never been able to do it before."

"I don't know how it happened, okay, and I'm..." Sersi stuttered, looking to the ground, "...pretty sure I couldn't do it again."

Phastos chuckled bitterly, "well, now is the time to try, don't you think?"

"Phastos, that Deviant is dead." Sersi argued, "our plan is to put Tiamut to sleep, not to kill it. I can't... kill a Celestial." Her voice wavered slightly at the thought.

"Sersi- Sersi..." Phastos clapped his hands together, prepared to speak, but Sersi interrupted him.

"We can't!" She shouted before he could argue any more. She slowly shook her head as the others all watched her in silence. "We can't."

"It's okay, Sersi." Druig said in a soft voice, attempting to calm the girl down. "I got this." Sersi slowly nodded at him, fighting for the tears to stay in her eyes. She quickly sucked in a shaky breath and left the room, shaking her head as she muttered things to herself in a quiet voice.

"Sersi!" Phastos dragged Nova down the halls of the Domo as they searched for Sersi. "Sersi!" He said in relief as they finally found her, with Thena by her side. "Oh, Sersi! We need you!"

Thena held up a hand, "I already gave that speech." She dismissed.

Nova shrugged. "Oh, perfect." She said.

"You did? What-" Phastos sucked in a deep breath, and Nova did too (because of all the running they just did). "Sersi, the sphere, inside of you, it creates a connection between you and Arishem. Maybe... I can repurpose it and... create a connection between, um... well, all of us. And that can activate the Unimind."

"Great." Sersi nodded in approval, wiping the last few tears on her face.

"Yeah." Phastos nodded, before holding a finger up. "But, um... I have to take it out of you."

Sersi nodded as she sighed, "okay. Do it."

Phastos sighed as well, before moving his hands in different motions. "Okay." Just as Phastos held his hand right over where the sphere would be, Thena interupted.

"Don't kill her." She tilted her head as she watched Phastos. Nova smiled in amusement from where she stood next to her.

Phastos glanced at Thena in mild annoyance, "Thena..."

"Do it." Sersi repeated as Phastos shook off Thena's comment.

Phastos nodded, holding his hand back over the sphere. Nova watched in interest as a golden circle appeared on Sersi's chest, and the sphere began to rise out of her body. Phastos looked at the sphere in shock as it floated over the palm of his hand.

"Will it work?" Sersi asked carefully, her eyes trained on the golden sphere.

Phastos held his free hand in front of the sphere, and spread his fingers out so his hand was wide open. The sphere split into tiny pieces as they all floated above his hand, a glowing light was floating where the sphere just was. "It has to."

Golden energy rose from the walls of the Domo and began to trace Nova's suit around her body. The dark green material encased her entire body, and golden accents were littered across it. Nova held up her left hand to her chest as a small golden band wrapped itself around my wrist. Phastos' newest creation.

Here we go.

-----
lizzie speaks...

so excited to finish this fic bc i'm in my eternals phase again and that'll make it easier to finish writing since i have the motivation, dw it's almost done guys (and u already know i'll make a second fic when more eternals content comes out)