chapter nine

CHAPTER NINE: MAKKARI'S COLLECTION

- IRAQ

Druig used his mind control to make all the people leave the area that the Domo was in, and they drove away as fast as he would let them.

Once they were gone, Sprite removed her illusion and made the Eternals (and Karun) visible again. Nova squinted her eyes from the sand that flew up due to the speed that the cars left at, trying to watch Phastos as he used his powers to bring the Domo back up from underground.

They all watched with interest as loud cracks and booms sounded from under the thick layers of sand. Karun watched in shock as their ship rose from the ground. "The Domo..." he muttered softly.

They walked through the dark ship, which had someone's belongings scattered across the ground. They would find random items every once in a while as their footsteps echoed through the hallways.

"A foreboding atmosphere fills the air." Kingo whispered softly to the camera that Karun held. "An eerie stillness chokes our lungs."

"What are you doing?" Phastos frowned, "you know you're creeping us out? You know that right-OH!" Phastos screamed as Thena stepped on something. A pop echoed throughout the Domo. "Oh, God! Stay calm, T, please-" he looked towards Thena, who held a blank expression on her face. Nova chuckled as Phastos looked down and started to chuckle awkwardly. Underneath Thena's foot was a bag of chips that she had accidentally opened when she stepped on it. "It's chips." He shrugged as he picked them up. "It's just chips."

"As you can see, being an Eternal does not preclude you from having human emotions." Kingo continued. "Such as cowardice." Nova was about to laugh, but stopped herself as she looked up ahead.

Nova stood next to Druig to get a better look. In the centre of the Domo, Makkari sat in a chair with a book in her hands. Multiple artifacts that she had collected over the years surrounded her in messy piles.

"What has she done?" Phastos looked around at the mess. "Is that... sarcophagus in my lab?" Phastos immediately began to look through Makkari's large collection in shock.

"This is Makkari." Kingo continued to narrate, looking back to the camera that Karun held up once more. Nova slowly walked around the room as Kingo continued to speak. She drowned out his voice as he was starting to annoy her (no offence to Kingo).

When she looked back up, she could see Makkari's wide smile as she began to sign. "Ready to go home?" She asked hopefully, but they all stood there with grimaces on their faces. Makkari took it as a no, and tilted her head back with a sigh.

Makkari looked at Kingo and Nova in disbelief, "so you mean... I've been waiting for centuries to go back to Olympia, and now you're telling me... it doesn't exist?"

"That..." Kingo nodded as he signed, "and the world is ending."

"At last my boredom is ending." Makkari sighed.

Kingo hummed, "have you seen my movies?"

Nova turned to Kingo with a baffled look on her face. "Kingo-"

"No."

Makkari scrunched up her face, "I don't have a DVD player." She shrugged.

"DVD?" Kingo chuckled bitterly, "it's all about streaming now." Nova rolled her eyes. "You know, what you need is a Kindle. Do you know what that is? It's like a... you know, I just realized that if you don't know what an iPad is, there's almost no way to explain it." Kingo shrugged.