chapter three

CHAPTER THREE: SNAPCHAT FILTERS

Nova's jaw dropped wide open as she walked through the movie set, Sprite glancing at her with a curious look in her eyes. She walked in between Ikaris and Sersi as they slowly came to a stop, watching the scene play out.

The cameras were rolling as many people danced in the centre of the room. One of the dancers was Kingo, who was looking very full of himself, which wasn't unusual.

Classic Kingo.

Still, she did miss Kingo, who was one of her closest friends.

"Welcome." A voice announced from the right of Sprite. Nova turned to see a man smiling at them. "I'm Karun Patel. Uh, Kingo's valet." He pointed to Kingo, his smile widening. "It's truly an honour to be in the presence of the great Eternals."

The music suddenly stopped, and the dancers all froze. Kingo smiled, "cut!" He shouted. "Okay, everyone. That was good. If we could do... 10% better. That was beautiful."

The four other Eternals awkwardly clapped as they watched, Kingo catching sight of them as someone began to touch up his hair. "Ahh!" He smiled widely, making his way over. "My friends from college are here!" He walked over to Ikaris, pulling him into a hug. "Hey, boss! Perfect timing!"

He pulled away from the hug, pointing to the set around him. "Welcome to the set of Legend of Ikaris." He kept a wide smile on his face, smiling at Ikaris. "I'm playing you!" He pointed to his outfit, "you like the costume?"

"We need to talk." Ikaris interrupted the very excited Kingo.

"Tell the director, I have some notes for him." Kingo told Karun. He didn't seem to notice the serious look on everyone else's faces, his mind still whirling with thoughts of the movie he was directing.

"We need to talk to you in private." Sprite sent a pointed look to Karun.

Kingo just dismissed it while waving a hand around, "oh, Karun, he's worked with me for 50 years, I trust him completely. Actually, when we first met he thought I was a vampire and he tried to stake me through the heart." Nova's eyes widened as she fought the smile that was attempting to rise on her face.

Karun smiled sheepishly, "I've apologized so many times." He chuckled awkwardly.

Kingo pursed his lips, "not quite enough times, very close though, I'll let you know." He turned back to face the other Eternals. "Oh, I have to get ready for the next scene. Come to my tent, we'll talk there." He began walking, eventually turning to face the others while walking backwards. "You guys are gonna love the next scene. I come in on a wire because, you know, I can't fly." He sat down in a small chair, a mirror directly in front of him. "Wait, are we getting back together?"

"We need to talk." Sersi informed the man once more.

"I've been waiting for the day the world knows the true identity of the shadow warrior." Kingo mumbled as he fixed his makeup.

"Ajak's dead." Sprite said bluntly, causing Kingo to slowly lower the eyeliner. He was struck with silence as he processed the news, looking down sadly at his desk.

"She was killed. It was a deviant." Ikaris mumbled, filling the silence as the people around them began to pack up and leave. "The Deviants are back. We don't know how many there are." He placed a hand in Kingo's shoulder. "You need to come with us."

Kingo slowly stood up as Ikaris dropped his hand to his side. He walked away, looking at the cast of the movie that he was directing with sadness. His voice was faint as he talked to Karun, the room felt tense.

Finally, Kingo sighed before turning towards the others. He'd made up his mind.

Nova sighed softly as she slumped in her seat on the private jet that Kingo was so kind to offer. She furrowed her brows as Kingo slowly walked around the jet, Karun following him around with a camera.

"7000 years." He said, quite dramatically. (Nova hid her amusement.) "That's how long the battle between Eternals and Deviants has raged for. You think I'm a movie star. Well, I am, but I am also... an Eternal."

Sprite looked up at him with a raised brow, "Kingo, what are you doing?" She asked, exasperated. Nova glanced at her from where she sat in front of Sersi, who looked up from her phone to look at Kingo, and Sprite sat next to her.

Kingo sat next to Nova, looking over at Sprite as Karun kept the camera on Kingo. "I think we should be remembered. So, I am making a documentary... about us." He pointed to the Eternals in the room, before facing the camera. "You are about to meet my fellow Eternal, Sprite."

He turned back to Sprite, his voice slightly louder now. "Sprite, tell us about yourself." Kingo said as Karun turned the camera to the small girl.

"Oh, wait." She faked a smile, reaching into her pocket. She pulled out her hand, flipping off Kingo before turning herself invisible.

Kingo's mouth dropped wide open before he turned to face the camera, speaking in a low voice. "Uh, we'll- we'll circle back to her." He instead, turned to Sersi this time. "This is Sersi." Ikaris took a seat next to Sersi, given that Sprite had left. "Sersi, tell them about yourself."

"Uh..." Sersi mumbled awkwardly as she looked into the camera.

"We're rolling." Karun reminded her.

"Well," she mumbled, Ikaris turned to her, awaiting her response. "I can change a rock into water." She smiled, "I... I can turn a rock into wood. Or a rock into metal. Actually, one time I turned a rock into air." She rambled, nodding rapidly. Nova smiled softly. She'd missed Sersi a lot-it was good to have her back.

"Cut." Kingo cut her off, and Sersi frowned slightly. "Um, you know what... why don't you think about it and we'll get back to you. Okay?" He turned to the camera with a sigh, "and this is Nova." He pointed to Nova, to which she rolled her eyes at. "Nova, tell them about yourself."

Nova shook her head, "no thanks."

Kingo raised a brow, "but... it's for the documentary. Don't you want to be in a documentary?" He tried, causing Nova to raise a brow.

She shook her head with a smile, "no, I can't say that I've ever wanted to be in a documentary."

Kingo sighed, narrowing his eyes, before turning to Karun. "Let's go." He stood up, walking away to a different place on the plane.

Ikaris turned to Sersi, who was on her phone. "Sprite says you're addicted to this thing."

Nova glanced up. This thing? Did he not know what a phone was?

Sersi looked up at him, holding up her phone. "This? um... look at this." She held out her phone to him, and Ikaris looked at it in disbelief. "You know, seeing as we don't age. I think you like quite good."

"Nova, what do you look like?" Ikaris asked, and Nova raised a brow. "Come here." He added, waving her over. She sighed and walked behind the two, looking at herself on the phone. Sersi had Snapchat filter on-an aging one to be specific.

"Oh, my God." Nova mumbled, chuckling slightly. "I can't believe you don't know how phones work. Have you ever had one?"

Ikaris turned back to look at her, "no. Should I?" Nova only stared at the man, slowly nodding as she did so. "Well, maybe I'll get one, then."

"Yeah, okay." She smiled.

-----
lizzie speaks...

karun = best character