eleven | scarecrow

As the sound of a cell phone ringing started to be heard, Sam said, "Dean

As the sound of a cell phone ringing started to be heard, Sam said, "Dean."

When Dean didn't move to answer the phone, Sam moved his hand over to grab the phone with his eyes still closed before he flipped open the phone and brought it up to his ear and said, "Hello."

Then he heard a voice ask him, "Sam, is that you?"

It was then that Sam slowly sat up on the bed as he said, "Dad. Are you hurt?"

John replied, "I'm fine."

Sam told him, "We've been looking for you everywhere. We didn't know where you were, if you were okay."

While Katherine made a point of picking up Sam's pillow and throwing it at his head before falling right back to sleep, John said to him, "Sammy, I'm alright. What about you, Katherine and Dean?"

After looking over at Dean, Sam said, "Well, we're fine." Then he looked over at Katherine, who was quietly mumbling incoherent words in her sleep, before he said, "In her own terms, Kat seems fine, but it's obvious that something's bugging her. We just don't know what it is."

While John only sighed in response, Sam asked him, "Dad, where are you?"

John said to him, "Sorry, kiddo, I-I can't tell you that."

Sam replied, "What? Why not?"

It was then that Dean asked Sam, "Is that Dad?"

John told him, "Look, I know this is hard for you to understand. You're just gonna have to trust me on this."

Sam replied, "You're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed Mom."

John said to him, "Yeah. It's a demon, Sam."

Sam asked him, "A demon? You know for sure?"

From where he sat on his own bed, Dean asked Sam, "A demon? What's he saying?"

John replied, "I do. Listen, Sammy, I, uh... I also know what happened to your girlfriend. I'm so sorry. I would have done anything to protect you from that." After a couple seconds of silence, John said, "I would have done anything to protect Katherine from what happened to her, too."

After quickly glancing over at Katherine, who was still sound asleep and basically dead to the world at the moment, Sam looked away from his twin sister and asked him, "You know where it is?"

John told him, "Yeah, I think I'm finally closing in on it."

With a nod of his head, Sam said, "Let us help."

John replied, "You can't. You can't be any part of it."

Sam asked him, "Why not?"

With a hand held out towards Sam, Dean said, "Give me the phone."

John told him, "Listen, Sammy, that's why I'm calling. You and your brother and sister, you've got to stop looking for me. Right now, I need you to write down these names."