twenty three | in my time of dying

With a sigh, Sam leaned against the open doorway to one of the hospital rooms and stared at his twin sister, who was lying on her hospital bed with her eyes closed, a bandage pressed against the side of her head and a cast wrapped around her right...

With a sigh, Sam leaned against the open doorway to one of the hospital rooms and stared at his twin sister, who was lying on her hospital bed with her eyes closed, a bandage pressed against the side of her head and a cast wrapped around her right leg.

He couldn't remember a time in which he saw his twin sister be so vulnerable like she was at that exact moment.

And it was because of the fact that he couldn't remember a time in which she was vulnerable like she was then that Sam started to feel uncomfortable with seeing her the way that she was.

And because of just how uncomfortable he felt seeing her like that, he was about to go and do what their father had told him to do, only to stop when he heard a slight groan before he looked back over at Katherine and saw that she was staring right at him.

As he took a couple of steps into the room, he asked her, "Hey, how are you feeling?"

After a couple seconds of silence, she said, "Crappy."

After letting out a bit of a chuckle, he asked her, "Okay, well, other than 'crappy', how are you feeling, Kat?"

After squeezing her eyes shut and letting out another groan when she attempted to sit up on the bed, she said, "Terrible, Sam. I'm feeling terrible. I've got a broken leg and a busted-up head." While Sam went to sit down in a chair just beside her bed, she asked him, "How the hell do you think I'm feeling?"

Instead of immediately responding to her question, Sam was silent for a couple of seconds as he eyed her before he said, "Crappy."

After letting out a sigh, she said, "You know, if it wasn't for the fact that my head is frickin' killing me, I'd probably be laughing right about now." Then, after a couple seconds of silence, she looked over at Sam and asked him, "How are they doing?"

After letting out a sigh of his own, he said, "Well, you know, Dad's just being Dad. you know? He, uh, he wants me to bring the Colt here and away from Bobby's place, since Bobby's probably already towed the car back to his place." When she didn't respond to his words, he let out yet another sigh before he told her, "He isn't doing too good– Dean, I mean. He hasn't woken up yet and the doctor said there's a chance that he might not wake up."

When she only gulped to herself in response to his words and turned her head to look away from him, he said to her, "Look, I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth. And, uh, Dad says he's gonna be looking for some way to save Dean and make sure that he doesn't die from his injuries, which is good, right?"

In turn, she said to him, "Right."

For a couple of seconds, everything was silent between the two siblings before Sam asked her, "Hey, why didn't you tell us all about what happened between you and August?" When she only continued to stare up at the ceiling of her hospital room, he said, "You know, about him and that Diana girl being a pair of demons?"