RvB Recovery One Part IV

Flashback

Counselor: Agent Washington? Agent Washington?

Washington: Sorry, what were you saying?

Counselor: Were you thinking about Epsilon again, Agent Washington?

Washington: No.

Counselor: What happened with Epsilon was not your fault, Agent Washington.

Washington: I didn't think it was.

Counselor: We have safeguards for the unstable emotional patterns of an artificial intelligence. Sometimes these algorithms fail.

Washington: Oh. So then it's your fault.

Counselor: We prefer to think of it as no one's fault.

Washington: Really.

Counselor: Just a possible, but rare, unfortunate outcome.

Washington: How convenient.

Counselor: Are you having new feelings about the incident?

Washington: No. Just the same old feelings. You know, that I had another person in my head, and I got to experience first-hand as their mind unraveled while mixed with my own. That I still have trouble distinguishing between its disintegrating thoughts and mine. You know, the usual.

Counselor: What about the hostility from other agents who lost out on assignments once we suspended the use of implants?

Washington: What about them? Am I supposed to feel bad for them, er something?

Counselor: Do you think you could work with an A.I. or another agent ever again?

Washington: ... No, I don't.

Counselor: Good. Then we have a job for you.

Present

Sierra 121: 7 minutes until exrtaction arrives!

Washington: South! We need you out here now! Get over here right now, South! Where are you!?

South breathes slowly, her vision clearing up. Delta appeared in the middle of her vision.

Delta: Keep breathing. Hearing my voice internally can be jarring, at first. I am told it helps clear the mind to concentrate on one thing. May I suggest that you try-

South: Will you please not talk for a second, that might help!

Delta: Technically, I am not talking.

South: Delta. Please!

Delta: My apologies.

South: Okay, I'm feeling better.

Delta: Remember to keep breathing.

South: Yes, I'll keep that in mind. How many enemies?

Delta: I do not detect any on my sensors. But the gunfire would indicate that we are facing only one. This is an atypical enemy. I can offer no advice.

North: South, we need you out here now!

South: I'm on my way!

Delta: I have functions that could assist in battle. Would you like me to run the tutorial program?

South: Are you kidding me?

South arrives behind Wash at a building's corner, under fire. North was a few meters away from them, hiding behind some stairs. South couldn't se the two Spartans, but the extra gunfire sounds indicated that they were close by.