Chapter 4

Harvey

Two weeks passed by with just the occasional head nod or reticent smile between Miguel and me. That was fine though, it kept us both safe. Especially, because my attraction towards him refused to go away.

Teaching wasn't my favorite job, but right now, I need it. It paid the bills and gave me enough savings. The kids were terrifying though, some of them had even managed to get my number and send me some texts that would have gotten them in serious trouble if I hadn't found it so funny.

I had just stopped giving a lecture and asked the class if they had any doubts. A boy in the back of the class raised his hand, I nodded at him to go ahead.

"Aren't you a bit young to be a professor?"

I smiled. "That's not what I meant when I said ask your doubts, but yeah, I am young to be a professor."

"Exactly how old are you?" a girl sitting in the front asked.

"I am twenty-seven." I replied.

"Are you married or do you have a girlfriend?" a girl sitting in the back asked.

"None of you value privacy," I said, making them chuckle. "The answer is no and no. That doesn't mean any of you can try to get my number and send me weird texts. I will screenshot them, print it out and stick them on the notice boards."

This made them laugh harder. I didn't think for a second that they had given up on sending me texts or irritating me, but it wasn't going to be anything I couldn't handle.

"Do you have a boyfriend then?" Another girl sitting in the back, leaning a little too close to the boy next to her, probably her boyfriend, asked.

"Nope." I answered.

"What the fuck? Why would you ask a question like that?" A kid wearing a red hoodie, sitting in the middle, turned around to stare at the girl in disgust.

The girl rolled her eyes. "Grow up. Being gay isn't a fucking disease."

"Why would our professor be gay?" The boy asked while punctuating the word 'gay' as if it was going to explode any minute.

The girl looked at him like he was stupid, which he was, as she answered. "I don't know, maybe because he's human too?"

The guy turned to me with a frown. "Are you gay?"

"I am not much for labels, but I have definitely had relationships with men." I answered, calmly.

The kid's expression changed into shock before it was replaced by disgust. Was he really studying criminal justice with that mindset?

"Fucking faggot." The kid said.

Jesus Christ. Now I was pissed, I would have let the whole thing blow over if he hadn't said that, but before I could do anything, Miguel had looked the kid right in the eyes and said, "Apologize."

The kid flinched, but gritted his teeth and looked right back. I should have stopped this from escalating, but I was way too surprised. The kid didn't look at me, instead stared Miguel down. "He is a fucking-"

"I swear to fucking God, you say that word again, and I will punch you." It wasn't Miguel who said that, but Mathias. Unlike Miguel, who looked absolutely calm, Mathias was extremely pissed. It made me wonder why Miguel hadn't come out to him yet. Or maybe he had?

"Cut it out," I told all of them, sternly. "If you use that word, I will take action against you and that would end really bad for you. My sexuality is none of your business." I focused on the other two. "No threatening allowed in my class."