Chapter 13

Phil ran after Wilbur. He frantically looked around in search of a familiar red beanie and nearly missed it. Phil rushed towards the elevator, reaching his arm out to stop the doors from closing. He was met by the scowl plastered on his son's face. 

"Shouldn't you be with Tommy?" Wilbur asked, "Or did you decide you'll just leave again?"

Phil sighed as he entered the elevator. Wilbur pressed the button for the ground floor and the two stood in silence as the elevator descended. Just as the number changed down to 10, Phil spoke, "I just want to talk, okay?"

Wilbur scoffed, "What's there to say? Wanna make another proposal that you're gonna break again?"

"Look, Wilbur," Phil started, "the company's secretary miscalculated my leave and accidentally booked a flight—"

"Well you could've asked them to reschedule!" Wilbur exclaimed. "They're the one who fucked up, you shouldn't have to accommodate for their mistakes!" He took a breath to calm himself down, "Just admit that you wanted to leave."

"It's not—I—"

Wilbur shook his head, "Just give it up Phil." 

The elevator reached the ground floor and Wilbur got off. Phil reached forward and grabbed Wilbur by the wrist, "At least hear me out," he said. 

Wilbur tugged his arm back, "Fine. Just not here," he said, looking around, catching a few people staring at them.

The two of them walked out and hopped into the car. "So?" Wilbur prompted. 

"I—I don't really know where to start..."

Wilbur rolled his eyes, "Well why don't you start with explaining how in the world you decided that you'll just up and leave with your favorite child for weeks at a time?"

"Look, first of all, I don't have a favorite," Phil said, earning a scoff from Wilbur, "it just so happens that Techno's planning on taking a career that's similar to mine so I take him with me so he can gain experience."

"Okay, so experience and shit, but did you really have to go for so long?" Wilbur asked. "And so often at that?"

Phil sighed, "I wanted to get the farm back."

Wilbur faltered for a bit, "The farm? What do you mean get it back?"

"I...wasn't fully honest with you three when you were younger," Phil said. "I sold the farm so we can move here in the city."

"But you said you had it under control!" Wilbur exclaimed. 

"I did, just not in the way you thought," Phil said. "I sold it to a business man I met in one of my trips. We made a deal that we get to use the farm during summers and Christmas breaks."

"You said you weren't gonna sell it!"

"And what? I wanted you guys to enjoy your teenage years. Have proper education and talk to people your age," Phil said. "Besides, after a year or so we stopped going back to the farm 'cause you guys don't have time because you already made plans with your friends."

"If that's the case then why are you even trying to get it back?" Wilbur asked. 

"You guys spent your childhood there! I didn't want to take it away from you," Phil said.

"Well, you did that alright," Wilbur said, bitterly. "I had to take care of Tommy all the time 'cause you're always gone. Sure, you left us money and stuff, but god did I want a break. Phil I was fifteen! I could barely take care of myself, let alone a child."

"I know that now. I know I fucked up," Phil admitted leaning forward, resting his head on the steering wheel. "I was to focused on getting the farm back that I didn't realize how much responsibility I was putting on to you."