Chapter 3

<<Rose>>

   I was too happy today. Rose should have used her brain during situations like these without raging her temper. Her skills and my brain work together like peanut butter and jelly. Maybe that part was a bit of an exaggeration since the first day I hiked up the cliff to train, I understood how bad I was at holding the sword. But with a few swings here and there, I got the hang of it. And that familiarity cost me two days worth of muscle pain.

   Just after I won the duel, the knight squadron present at the gates bowed down to me. I smirked and walked away with a glint of pride. The image of Robert's and Richard's bewildered looks gave me giggles at night. The first step of gaining a healthy reputation to avoid my execution was complete. 

   Catelin, who I assumed to be trustable, gave me a recap on the current situation. It seems that I have reincarnated one year before the beginning of the novel. The Crown Prince's birthday celebration was where Lily appeared which also brought an emotional rollercoaster to the Eskater Family. They all cried, even the duke as per the novel. I have to make sure to run off unnoticed by that time to the countryside. Since nobody would most likely care about my presence, the safest way out was to write a note and leave.

   My plan was conjuring with straight edges every night. My next move must be to cancel the engagement in someway. I sent a mental message to the original Rose that I will help her life run more smoothly and pleasantly than before.

***

Catelin waked me up roughly and I groaned that the sun hasn't even lit up yet. She slapped me on my arm playfully and I took the hint that I should wake up before more torture follows. A knock came from the door which resulted Joyce and Caitlin to exchange worried looks. It was the head butler 'Jonathan'. (The guy who always brought Rose a meal in secret when she was locked up due to some silly tantrum.)

"My lady, the duke requested your presence today." He said in a calm tone. My eyes bulged open and Catelin dropped a tea set with a loud sound.

"I assume it must be for my duel earlier." I replied with a hushed tone. Joyce and Catelin looked at me confused and I considered to feign ignorance.

"Yes, my lady. Even though it is unsuitable, it was a great sight to see you use your skills that you trained hard every morning in secret." Jonathan claimed with a wink. So, he must have known that Rose used to go out to practice.

"I will be there. You can go now and thank you." 

"It is my humble pleasure." It is unbelievable that this world beings have an amazing knack for buttery words.

***

   I entered the huge room that withhold creaky doors. The duke should really get the maintenance in line and upfront. A broad figure sat on the swivel table silhouetting the window light. The man looked dead serious and I realized why most nobles are afraid of him.

"Hello Rose. Let me get straight to the point. I heard about your duel with a knight. Why did you take such a rash decision?" Wow, the duke or in this case my father, really has no patience.

"Yes, you see, the knight walked by without an inch of gratitude and I felt inexcusable to teach him some, what do you call, yes, manners." I was surprised by my own boldness.

"Oh, I see. But why didn't you tell your brothers or me first?" He looked surprised but pleasant.

"Even if I did, I don't think it would have changed anything." is what I wanted to say---

"I didn't want to waste your precious time." I replied with this instead increasing my future life span.

"Oh ho, you've become braver. I'm glad that you used your honor and pride. Is there anything you want to ask of me? You have never asked me of anything excluding allowance." He replied. Maybe I should try my luck today, I thought.

"Would it be okay to ask?" I braced myself.

"Of course. Go ahead."

"I'd like to cancel my engagement with the crown prince."