Chapter 6

<<Alvin>> (Alvin Arkcliff- 2nd Prince of Arkcliff Empire)

   The tree branch was too small, but I managed to hold my weight so I wouldn't suffer a worse fall. I was debating with my brother about stealing a book from his secretary's desk early in the morning, sincerely. Everyone in the castle knew that Lewis, my older brother, had feelings for Countess Carlisa who became the secretary of the Crown Prince.  

   The only oblivious people were the countess and my brother themselves. The guard for the entrance of the garden announced that Lady Rose of the Eskater Duchy had arrived. Everyone disliked her, including my brother. I ran up the tree in a rush to hide. She was always trying to cling to Lewis, whenever she had the chance. She always wore frilly, pompous dresses, so, naturally when she wore something totally out of her character, I almost gasped. 

   The most surprising thing was that she had come to annul her engagement to brother. My first thought was that she might have said that to gain more attention from brother but her face said otherwise. Her usually gleaming eyes had a confident aura which was different from all the other times she came to the palace. 

   Brother Lewis dropped his book and stood up when he finally registered her words. 

" Wait, what did you say?" He demanded.

"I said, I want to cancel our engagement." She repeated calmly. She bent down to pick up the fallen book and held it up to Lewis with a smile playing on her lips.

"Why? Or is this some ploy to get my attention." Lewis took the book, hastily.

"There is no ploy, your highness. I sincerely wish to cancel our engagement. Oh, by the way, you might want check the garden trees. There seems to be a spy on one branch."

   Wait! How did she know I was up here? She wouldn't have any reason to know. I was a master of stealth considering I would be inheriting the position of archduke in the future-to-be.

"Since you agreed earlier, I will be sending you an official note soon. I am sure you want to get rid of me too, so take the chance. Well then, Goodbye, Au revoir, Adios" Lady Rose left just like that. She had changed. She used to be a little meek but hot-tempered before. Now, it was like she turned on a hidden switch. What was going on?

Sure, this was an amazing opportunity for Lewis since now he can slip in a form for the future Empress candidate for Countess Carlisa but why did Lady Rose ask for an annulment? She seemed to be head over heels for my brother. Brother Lewis looked frozen in place. That must have hit his ego a little too hard. A smile had unconsciously reached my lips.

<<Rose>>    

   The sun was shining. Lying down on the sand with the beach waves touching my toes never felt better. All the stress gone to hell and enjoying must be like this. What the hell am I saying right?  This must be heaven, really. All that stress of meeting the Prince was long gone. Now, all I have to do is venture this good life. 

   I collected most of my allowance and there was a huge amount. I wondered if there were saving accounts in here with a preferably high interest, then I might not even want to walk around. Ha ha ha! I've never felt this better before.

   But, it was quite interesting to find out the prince reading a book belonging to Countess Carlisa. The novel only mentioned that name as the crown prince's secretary. And what do you think my scheming mind concluded? The Prince has a crush on his secretary. Wow, this novel characters were pretty obvious. 

   The Prince's face gave it away when he took the book with the page of Countess Carlisa written in scrawny handwriting. Its not nice to snoop, but let's just say that page was right in front of my eyes which had also been tampered with. 

   How? There was a heart drawn from the pressure of a nail around the secretary's name. I felt crazily confident when I picked up the book and handed it over. Just like one of those cool guys in movies. The Prince's pride must be shattered by now. 

   Have I ever mentioned that all the empire's princes have blond hair except for the 1st and 2nd? These princes were gifted with black hair and I won't say the genes made a bad decision at all.  People say that they would bring a new era. Whatever though! Not like I'd care.

***

   I decided to take a stroll down the streets. Should I have taken a carriage? Hell no. I was undercover. I had my hood up my head covering my whole face only leaving the area of my mouth.

   The town looked magnificent just as the novel described it. Everywhere had several different shops and they were filled to brim with fresh commodities. I had a doubt that I might attract attention with wearing the hood but apparently, there were hundreds of people wearing hoods. Perfect situation! 

   I entered a bookstore first. I bowed at the owner near the old-fashioned counter and lead my way through. The place contained lots and lots of books. I might even die here with no regrets. I took a hardcover book out and appreciated its texture. I was a goner for old books. The smell itself has already got me done for!

   I spent about two hours in it. It was almost nearing the evening. I bowed my head at the counter before leaving and the guy nodded. Next destination: a weapon shop. I needed to get my sword sharpened and select a few other weapons. You can never have too many weapons, I guess.

   I asked a few civilians a good weapon shop and they pointed me to a dark corner. They explained to me that the youngster in there creates weapons that were even sent to the foreign kingdoms. 

   I went in and knocked on a rough door. The door was creaking. It might fall apart at any moment. I entered the shop after the door opened itself open. A wall holding weapons flashed before my eyes. I would have turned into slime then and there. Now, I developed a crazy disease for weapons. 

"Hello. Can I help you?" A young man in his twenties asked politely.

"Yes, uh, I am looking to sharpen my sword and check through some weapons." I replied, hastily.

"Of course, you can go through the show case while I sharpen your sword. May I have it?" 

"Sure, here you go." I gave him my sword and his eyebrows raised when he realized it was a double-edge sword.

"Its an awesome sword. Miss must be talented." I blushed at the flattery. Rose, can you hear me? Your skills paid off! 

   I walked along the showcase running my hands through the silver of the weapons. They were sharp, indeed. A dagger caught my eye and it looked like it was begging for me to pick it up. Or was that Rose's instinct??

   My thoughts were interrupted when two men, one short, leaving only a few inches from me and the other tall as the ceiling of the shop entered. They were also covered in hoods, so, I had no idea who they were. But they carried around a noble presence. 

"Roy, we came to pick up the spear" The short one yelled and for some reason that short silhouette somehow seemed familiar to me.

Hello
This is the author here. Who do you think the mysterious short man is? Any guesses??? Leave them in the comment section below!!!