Chapter 9

<<Alvin>>

   I have to say, the duke's estate was huge. Sure, not huge as our castle but for a duke, it was. Anyone could get lost if they didn't at least have a guidance map. Now, the main question, what was I doing here???
   Carlisa( mind you, Secretary Carlisa) and I came here to the duchy to deliver the invitations to the hunting competition. Usually, a messenger or knight does these kinds of work but when it came to the duchies of Arkcliff empire, officials deliver it themselves.
   I tagged along with Carlisa leaving brother Lewis in the dust of misery. I only came here to get some fresh air and definitely not to check on Lady Rose.

   Lets admit it! I did come to the Eskater duchy to see Lady Rose or more accurately to see her training. Is she better than me? Since the past week, I 've been imagining wielding a double edged sword and that thought quickly dissipates into an image of Lady Rose in my mind. Carlisa said that her mother would be at the estate, so she decided to come here herself while I put on my puppy eyes and begged her to let me follow. After all, isn't that what the younger brother does?
   A butler about half a feet taller than me, bowed and replied that she would call Lady Ameece. Carlisa sat across the huge seat in the middle of the room the butler led us to and took out a small book from her side pocket.
   Carlisa was quick and flexible in everything she did excluding cooking and painting. She also creates words when something happens to her. I don't even know how she gets them. 

   I'm pretty sure Brother Lewis fell for her personality. She looked up at me and tilted her head asking what was wrong. I shook my head and sat down in the opposite chair next to the long seat where Carlisa sat. 

   The door opened and Lady Ameece entered with Countess Floria following suit.

"Hello, your highness and Lady Carlisa. What brings you here today?" 

"Yes, we came here to deliver the invitation for the hunting contest held next week. As usual, we await your presence." I replied in tune with Carlisa bobbing my head behind the two ladies for signs of Lady Rose.

    Apparently, she hadn't come with them. Carlisa cleared her throat and nodded. She knew I'd always go to the knights training area when we arrive at the two duchies of the empire. But today, I'm itching for a solely different reason.

   I dashed out of the room in a sensible way and made my way through the familiar corridors of the Eskater duchy. I continued walking and saw the dome of the knights quarters. A rough hand ruffled my hair. 

"How you doing, squirt?" Robert, the younger twin of the Eskater twins asked. We used to train together and they always belittled me. The twins were 3 years older than me. Does that mean Lady Rose and I are the same age?! I did not know that! 

   Robert ruffled my hair a little more violently. 

"I'm fifteen now!" I yelled. (That line did not improve my fifteen mature image but you can't blame me for being a little stubborn.)

"Says the guy who threw a tantrum to avoid the succession to throne!" Robert countered back. 

   Though I hate to admit it, I really did go on a strike when dad asked if I wanted to be the next emperor. I was seven and even I could understand that I would have to fight brother Lewis. So guess my reaction? I threw the most embarrassing tantrum in the middle of the night saying that I had no intention to be an emperor with wholesome tears!

   Mum hugged me then and calmed me down and the next morning we all laughed at my behavior. During the following days, I even did extra research and requested my dad to hand me the position of archduke. (That should counteract my previous immature actions and Dad smiled at me and officially shook my hand. You have no idea how that made a seven old year like me feel!