Chapter 37

A/N: Hi there! I'm really sorry but I wasn't able to update this story lately. These days, there are a few exams here and there, so I will not be updating frequently as usual. But after everything settles, I will definitely start updating it as usual every Wednesday. Thank you! Happy reading!! 

<<Rose>>

   Just as we returned from hell, Nidas's house was completely occupied by Cad. The guy was so huge, a wooden sofa smashed to two pieces while Cad was trying to settle in for sleep. We laughed so hard at Nidas's angry face. He almost flipped off at Cad.

  I resorted my mind and asked Cad to change into his bat form. Just as he 'poofed', I let out a yelp at the flying bat. Cad came closer flapped a wing at my face. If I didn't know any better, it would have looked like Cad slapped me.

  I let out a held sigh and Cad snuggled in my cheek. I smiled at him, slowly dissolving my fear. 

***

The next morning, we scuttled into town. We got breakfast and had some fun. I spent about three hours in the town's bookstore. There were hundreds of amazing books. From philosophy to love, you could get immersed in it. 

The funny thing is, while I was grabbing some books, I came upon a dusty hard cover which was ominously thrown away. I took a peek in and slapped a hand over my mouth when I realized it was yaoi.  

I put it back with a bright red face. After a little while of trying to calm down, I took back the book and hid it under a small stash in a shelf so that I could come back tomorrow.

Evening fell and I was walking down the street in lonesome. Erebus and Nidas left for some discussions and I left Cad at home to rest. I heard Cad wheezing in the morning and forced him to stay. It's not like someone would follow me or anything * shrug*

'I think you spoke too soon.' The sensing department of my body told me.

Somebody was stalking me! I felt a huge presence around me and for some reason, I quickened my pace. 

I sent one of my dark stripes back home in lightning speed to retrieve my sword with Cad. I took a left turn to confuse this stalker of mine. I found a small alleyway and hid in it. Screech!

I heard my stalker stopping on a three-way opening in our race to see where I ran off to. I observed him. He was a male for his tall frame. Sure, we may be the same height with him only 3 inches taller. He wore a hood that somehow seemed familiar.

I heard a dragon's call and recognized it as Cad's. I manipulated another dark stripe to show him my location. It went straight up like a lightning strike. The sound of shoes thumping on the ground caught me off guard. The stalker found me!

Oh crap! There is no way out of this alley. Why did the book's genre suddenly turn into a thriller? Wasn't this supposed to be a romance fantasy?! 

"Found you!" The man exclaimed and stepped closer towards me. 

Don't ask me what I did next! I did what I needed to protect myself. 

Do you want to know?

  The man closed in. He lifted up a hand to his head and I saw a smile through his hood. My reflexes instantly reacted. I think my body chose the 'fight' response instead of the innocent 'flight' response. Swiftly, I moved closer and socked him in the face. 

Yep, I think I nailed it at his jaw!

"Get lost! You creep!" I yelled.

"Gurghh! Argh!" He screamed in pain after landing on the pavement. 

"Wait---That voice---Alvin!?" I claimed, shockingly. What was he doing here?

Alvin! Please don't tell I'm hallucinating now.

I shook my fingers that seemed to be numb. Okay, so all the movies I have watched up till now lied to me. How come hitting someone hurts this much?!

"Ouch! Why did you have to punch me?" He yelped in pain.

"Sorry. I thought you were a stalker or something." I gave him a hand to get back up and he gladly took it. I rubbed the place where I had just punched to soothe his pain. 

Why was I smiling like a goof?

"I guess it's my fault for trying to surprise you. Why did you change your hair?" He asked after apologizing. I just noticed that he still had a idiotic smile on his face.

"Just felt like it. Is it nice? Our hair matches now." I told him. He laughed and nodded. His face glimmered somehow. Wahh! This is so unfair!

A gale of wind swept by us and a huge shadow landed around me, coiling its black-scaled tail around my feet. Cad!

It growled at Alvin. Alvin stepped in motion to fight and I stopped him by holding up a hand.

"Alvin, meet Cad, my --uh--dragon and Cad, this is Alvin." They looked at each other. Alvin was expectantly shocked.

  He tilted his head a little to the right and Cad wrapped his tail tighter around my feet leaving only an inch of the pavement.

I patted his thick skin to assure that there was no danger.

"Anyway, when are you coming back?" Alvin asked me.

"Umm...I still need more time. And how did you even find me?" 

"Carlisa told me you went to the southern areas, so, I sneaked out today to come find you. The duchy is going nuts, you know. And I miss my partner to practice." He looked at me with puppy eyes. 

"Do you know that you have zero patience?" I mock-insulted him.

"You aren't the first to tell so, yes." He answered with a chuckle.

"I still haven't completed my work yet---" I looked up at his earnest face and stopped short. Alvin had grown in the past few weeks. His features were sharper and somehow appealing. I felt myself turning red as I stared into his face. 

I looked away. 

"What's wrong?" He asked me in his caring tone of voice that was a tad bit deeper than before. 

Am I falling for him? For Alvin?! Hormones stay in control! 

"You should get back home. Don't stay out so late. I'll come back soon. You trust me, right?" I said to him trying to control my thoughts which were going berserk at the moment.

"I know. But, I hope you come back sooner." He told and enveloped me in a hug. Impulsively, I hugged him back.

He was warm.

"I will. I promise." I told him, sincerely. He nodded and pulled away. I got on Cad and we waved at each other.

I waited till he got back on his horse. After he disappeared from my viewpoint in the meridian, I rested my head on Cad's lean back as he flew in the sky. I squinted my eyes.

I can't believe it. I'm in love with Alvin Arkcliff!

-So, what do you guys think? Rose and Alvin finally met each other! Comment and feel free to leave a vote. Happy reading!!