1: How it all started

POV: Hazel Grace

I had just moved to this new town when I was 13. I didn't know anyone and they didn't know me. We got here on a Saturday so I had a few days to get settled in before I went to my new school.

 "Hazel Grace?" My mom called from downstairs as I was sitting on my new bed reading a book from my favorite author, Nicholas Sparks. "Yes?" I called down. "Come help your dad unload the rest of the boxes from the trailer". We had moved here for his job, although I never really knew what he did since he never talked about it. "OK" i responded but I don't think she heard me.

I slipped on my Birkenstock's with my old blue hoodie and grey sweats. My hair was in my usual messy bun, since I didn't care all that much about the way I looked.

When I got outside I saw my dad bent over a box labeled: Kitchen supplies. "Hey dad," I said, letting him know I was there. He jumped a little, obviously startled by my sudden presence. "Hey Gracie," he said, using the nickname he's called me since I was small. He liked the name Grace more than he liked Hazel, my mom's favorite name, so that's what he called me instead.

looking around I saw a few other houses similar to ours around the neighborhood but most of them were simple one stories, whereas ours was a more high-end 2 story. I still didn't understand how we afforded this but my parents never really talked about money around me.

at the end of our yard I saw this beautiful tree, perfect for reading in with its strong branches and slick bark. I used to read in trees all the time back home, but when we moved I was worried I wouldn't get to anymore. This made me relax and sigh quietly, realizing I would still have something from back home.

"I see you've found you new reading spot, eh?" my dad said, apparently realizing i was staring at it. "I think I have" I answered quietly. "Well I'll let you go off and explore a little bit after we finish unloading the rest of these boxes OK" his words got muffled as he went back into the orange U-haul trailer.

After the last box was brought inside, I raced upstairs grabbing my book, headed for the tree. "I'm going out," I called through the house. "OK '' I heard my mom say from somewhere, "be back by dinner".

After walking around the neighborhood a little I settled in the new tree a little ways up, being careful not to slip on the slick bark. A fall from this height could seriously injure a person.

Just as I was about to start the next chapter, I heard a voice from below call up to me. "Hey, I've never seen you around here before, what's your name?" it said. Without looking up from my book I answered this unknown voice "Hazel''. Silence.

I looked down, not hearing a reply, to see this boy starting to climb up to me. "Hey," I said, "Be careful, the branches are slippery.'' without answering he perched himself next to where I was on the branch and looked me dead in the eye. His green eyes really went well with the leaves of this tree, bright and full of life. His curly hair, almost in need of a haircut, fell just below his perfect eyebrows (which I wish I had). He had freckles dotting his cheeks and nose.

"so, Hazel, you said?" his voice was laced with curiosity. "Yes, and you are?" arching one eyebrow at him. "Mason" he said with a half smirk, sticking out his hand for me to shake. I hesitantly shook it and watched his smirk turn into a pleased grin.

"So what brings you here?" he asked, adjusting his position to straddle the branch and face me. "my dad's work" I say bluntly, bending a corner of my page so I could keep my place. "Wow, a talkative one," he said sarcastically.

I look down at my lap and play with my charm bracelet my grandmother gave me before she passed away. "Whatcha got there?" Mason asked, gesturing to the book in my lap. "Nicholas Sparks" I said , holding up the book so he could see the cover. "ohh so you're one of those girls" he said with a bored tone rolling his eyes.