19. Lies for Love

POV: Mason

Hazel got up to answer the door. i wasn't really paying attention because i was spacing out thinking about last night. 

I stayed with her all night. I wanted to make sure she was able to sleep good for once. and when i woke up early, i was going to bring her breakfast in bed but she woke up before i could. and when she sat beside me on the couch. 

and when she stood up to Hunter. she's starting to get more comfortable around me, the kind of comfortable she was before we kissed. 

"Kayla?" 

that snapped me out of it. i jumped out of my chair and fan over to the door. "what are you doing here?" i asked nervously. 

did she know about what happened last night? or earlier today? was she here just to start something? 

i didn't even have time to process before i heard Hazels mom say "it's no problem dear! come make yourself a plate." 

oh hell no. this cannot be happening.

"Kayla can i talk to you outside for a second?" i said, pulling her outside before she could answer. 

"what the hell are you doing here" i snapped a little harder than i should. "just wanted to visit my boyfriend" she said too cheerily. "cut the bullshit. what are you actually doing here?". her face instantly changed from her fake happy cheer face to her real psycho creepy face. 

"I heard about the little incident between Hunter and Hazel. just wanted to check in and see how she was doing. did she come crying to you when he left? or did you go to her?" she asked getting more suspicious as she went on. 

how did she know about that? i tried my best to keep a straight face. "i have no idea what you're talking about." she couldn't know. it would end up hurting me and hurting Hazel so much more. 

"are you sure? you didn't know that Hunter hit Hazel during an argument? i bet didn't know about the recording app he put on her phone that's been recording everything and sending it to him since Thursday?" she grinned evilly. 

My straight face must've let up at that last part because her face contorted even more. "so you have been with her." she said knowing i slipped up. 

but that meant there couldn't have been a recording or she would've known about everything else. it was a bluff to get a reaction. 

Damn her. 

i knew there was no way around this. "okay fine, yes I've been with her. she came to me. all i did was give her an ice pack and talk about a few things. but i swear to you i didn't say anything about the deal." i said looking her in the eye to try and convey my sincerity.

"i'll trust you this time. but if it happens again, no special treatment. you keep her distant. unless you want something worse than a few mean anonymous messages to go Hazels way." she was getting more threatening the more she talked. i was actually really scared now. 

"okay, fine." i said sighing. "great" she said in her cheery voice again. she turned on her heel and sauntered over to her car, overly swaying her hips. she got in and left. 

i went inside and made an excuse about why she ended up not being able to stay. when they asked more about her, i kept it vague. they didn't need to know she was my girlfriend. because technically she wasn't. and i didn't need them to start telling me to invite her over for dinner and wonder why i say no. 

after dinner, i hurried up to my room to text Jackson about the days events. we had been texting a lot lately, mostly me telling him about any updates of Hunter or Kayla. I'm still trying to figure out how they are connected. and how Kayla found out. 

Hazel knocked and came in like she did last night. i sent my text and gave my full focus to her. i know i would want that from her. "so what did Kayla want earlier?" she asked, carefully. crap. what do i tell her? 

"oh nothing, just being a weird clingy girlfriend ya know"i said, shrugging it off, hoping she wouldn't ask about it more. she seemed like she wanted to, but didn't want to bother asking. "okay then" she said, looking awkward. 

"whats wrong Haze?" i asked, concerned. "i don't know i just...i feel like shes trying to get between us. which i know might seem like i'm just jealous but i'm not i just don't want to lose my best friend." she started tearing up. 

i got up and walked over to her, cupping her cheeks in my hands. "hey hey hey, i'm not going anywhere okay? nothing could ever could get between us. i promise. i don't think you're jealous either. i'm right here" i said, wiping a tear away with my thumb before pulling her into a hug. 

her arms wrapped around my waist and she buried her head into my chest, with my hand cupping the back of her head and resting my chin on her forehead. 

i felt her lightly shaking from her crying and a few sniffles, but after a few minutes she was still again. "i'm sorry" she mumbled into my chest. "what are you sorry for?" i asked, not knowing what on earth she could be apologizing for. 

"not being here for you when i should've." i pulled her away from me and held her shoulders. "you have nothing to be sorry for, you hear me? you did nothing wrong." i said, looking into her teary eyes. 

she just stared at me with those perfectly blue eyes that I've always loved. we stayed like that, staring at each other for longer than two people who are just friends probably should. but i couldn't bare to look away. 

one final tear glided down her cheek. i wiped it away with my thumb and she leaned into my palm. 

i shouldn't be doing this. we shouldn't be doing this. i told Kayla i would try to keep my distance, and she has a boyfriend. 

i think she could sense it too because she moved away from my hand and backed farther away, causing me to drop my arms. 

"i should probably..." she trailed off. "yea, probably." i knew what she meant. she slowly started walking out of the room. and all i could think about was that if this keeps up, i'll never get to kiss her again. 

i had to do this. 

"Hazel" i said, walking quickly over to her. she turned around and started to answer when i grabbed her face and smashed our lips together. her breath hitched in her throat with shock. 

i was starstruck. this was better than i remembered. my whole body felt something i had never experienced before. but as much as i was enjoying this, it had to end. 

so i pulled away and left Hazel standing there in a daze, partially closing my door and going to bed. i immediately texted Jackson. 

Me: i just kissed Hazel

i didn't have to wait for a response this time. 

Jackson: WHAT?? WHY? HOW??