8: Deja Vu

POV: Mason

After looking into her eyes, and hearing her say "who are you?" I couldn't stay there. I walked out before I had any more chances to get my heart shattered into a million pieces.

The next day, Hazel was being discharged. I had slept on one of the couches in the lobby, since it would've been awkward to sleep in Hazel's room. 

Momma came up to me and asked, "hey hun, since Hazel is coming home today, would you want to stay with us for a while?". I thought about her offer for a minute. Option one would be, turn her down and go back to that god forsaken house and relive every single bad memory from there, or option two, go with her and forget about that house, while also being with hazel, even though she doesn't know me. 

I decided to choose the second option, because I'd much rather be with her than in that hell hole. "Sure, that would be great" I said, enthusiastically. "What's wrong hun?" she said, putting a hand on my shoulder. 

"It'll just be strange to be around her when she forgot who I was" I said, sadly. "Well, think of it like this, the more time you spend together, the more she'll get to know you, and who knows, maybe she'll end up remembering" she said cheerfully, shrugging at the end. 

"Ok. Do you think you could take me to my house, so I can grab some clothes and other things?" I asked, almost embarrassed. "Sure, that was the plan." she smiled.

A few hours later

I really didn't want to go back there, so I hesitated before I walked through the front door. "Do you want me to come in with you?" Momma asked, starting to get out of the car. "Um," I thought about it for a second. "No thanks, but I'll text you if I need to." I said, turning the handle, and going in. 

It looked the exact same, with a few police markers and caution tape around the house. As I walked through the living room, to the hall, I saw a stain on the floor. I knew it was from Hazel's head. 

A flash of her laying there on the floor, unconscious, ran through my mind. I shook my head, trying to get that horrible image out of my mind, while I went into my room. 

I grabbed the biggest travel case I could find, but only came up with a duffel bag, and a container for my toiletries. I packed as many clothes and shoes that I could fit into my bag, while grabbing my keys, and my framed pictures of me and my mom, and another of me and Hazel. 

I found my car sitting in the driveway right where I'd left it. "Is it ok if I drive my car? we're gonna need it to get to school" I explained, and she nodded her head saying "that's fine."

The car ride home was short and quiet, except when Hazel and I's favorite song came on the radio. 

I wondered if that would ever be her favorite song again. 

I pulled into her driveway and parked my car behind her moms. I grabbed my bags and opened the door. 

"Hey,'' I heard her say. I thought maybe if I didn't move, she wouldn't see me. But I looked her in the eyes, just to try and see if she still didn't know. 

"You're really not going to say hey to the girl who had to suffer hearing you sing to Katy Perry?" she said, putting a hand on her hip. 

How did she know that? That was one time, and neither of us told anyone. 

I realized she was smiling at me. "Hazel?'' I said, smiling as well. 

I dropped my bags and ran into her open arms, picking her up, and spinning her around. I can't believe it.