12: Jealousy, Jealousy

POV: Mason

Today was the first day Hazel and I went back to school. I wasn't excited. I woke up super groggy from the terrible night's sleep I got. Walking into the bathroom to get ready, I ran into Hazel. "Mornin' sunshine" She was a morning person. I am not. I just grunted in response and went to shut the door, accidentally slamming it.

I brushed my teeth and tried to fix the bird's nest of hair I had sitting on my head and went back to my room to change out of my pajamas. I decided on joggers and the hoodie that Hazel brought back.

As I was walking down the stairs I saw Hazel sitting on the couch looking at her phone. She looked like she was about to cry. I guess she heard me coming because she quickly turned her phone off and smiled but I knew it wasn't her real smile. This smile didn't make her eyes light up the room.

I didn't want to bother her with asking, so I didn't. I didn't really feel like talking much anyways. I just wanted today over with. "You ready?" I asked, coming up behind her on my way out the door.

"Ready as i'll ever be I guess" she sighed. I looked at her with that but kept quiet. We said bye to her Mom and made our way to school. I was fine with the silence. I was starting to get a headache from the lack of sleep.

Out of nowhere Hazel asked "Hey, so do you know when basketball is supposed to start?". I've played basketball since middle school and ended up getting really good. Hazel has come to all my games and has been my number one supporter. "In a few weeks" I answered flatly. Like I said, I didn't really feel like talking. "Are you excited? Senior season woop woop" she said loudly irritating my head. "Yea I guess" I said.

"What's up with you today?" she asked. I know she was just concerned but I was getting tired of it. "Nothing, just drop it" I said annoyed. "Oh, ok" she said disappointed. I could see she was playing with her hands and remembered I still had her charm bracelet.

"Oh, I forgot, here's your charm bracelet, '' I said, pulling it out of the center console and dropping it in her hand. She immediately put it on and started playing with it so I knew I upset her, but I wasn't in any mood to deal with it. I'd ask later.

The rest of the ride was silent, to my liking and once we got to school and were about to go our separate ways I said "so I'll see you at lunch I guess" and continued walking.

My first two periods went as slow as molasses in the winter. I had briefly explained why I was out and told them I'd make up the work as quickly as I could. They were very understanding and since I'd had them before, they knew I was good for my word.

When I got to lunch, Taylen and Jackson were already at the table. I still wasn't very happy with him but I had to talk to him at some point. "Hey man, you look like shit" He said as I sat down. "Not right now Jackson. I slept like shit and I have a headache."

Taylen offered me some medicine and I graciously accepted. The two lovebirds carried on whatever conversation they had going on before I got here and I started to wonder where Hazel was. She should've been here by now.

I spoke my thoughts and neither said they had seen her. It got quiet for a minute but then Jackson spoke up. "Oh there she is over there. Looks like she dropped a bunch of papers. Should we go help her?" but before he continued his sentence someone approached her and started helping her.

It was that Hunter guy from the parking lot the day of the accident. "Looks like she's got it covered" I said , sounding displeased. "What is up with you today?" Taylen asked, using the same words as Hazel from the car. It's been a rough weekend okay" I said exasperated.

"Talk to us Mason, we're here for you" Taylen said softly, putting a hand on my arm. "Yesterday me and Hazel kissed in the rain. I kissed her first but then she kissed me again and-" I was interrupted by Jackson's "It's about time!"