11: New Friends

POV: Hazel

Today was my first day back at school. It felt like years since I'd last been but it had only been a week. I knew I'd be behind on so much stuff, so I'd have a lot of makeup work. Kill me now.

I woke up and decided to wear something decent since I knew there'd be a lot of attention on me. I wen't to the bathroom and brushed my straight blonde hair, and threw on some mascara and some concealer under my eyes. The bruises on my face were almost completely healed, but some color was still able to show through the concealer. That'll have to do.

Walking out of the bathroom, I bumped into an irritable looking Mason. "Mornin' sunshine" I said giggling. His hair was standing up, going every which way, and his eyes were droopy, still adjusting to the light. He only grunted in response, walking into the bathroom and slamming the door. Someone definitely isn't a morning person.

After I had gotten everything ready, and eaten a bite of breakfast, I sat on the couch waiting for mason to come down so we could leave. I was scrolling through TikTok when I got a text from an unknown number.

UNKNOWN: First day back huh?  No one even noticed that you were gone. You're a nobody. Have a horrible day :)

Well that's a lovely way to start my first day back. Hearing Mason walk down the stairs, i quickly shut off my phone and put a fake smile on my face. He didn't need to deal with anymore of my crap, and besides, he was already having a rough morning anyways. No need for me to make it worse.

I thought back to the conversation we had yesterday. Neither of us seemed to like the decision that was made. And to be honest, I was a little hurt. I told myself that if he liked me then it would be ok for me to like him back, but based on what he said I don't really know if it was real or not.

But like he said, it's best for us. We both know each other so well and we almost never fight about anything. We share common interests, and we both like each others company. But why did this sudden intimacy feel so good? I decided to let it go for now. 

"You ready?" Mason said, avoiding eye contact and grabbing his keys. I hadn't realized he'd gotten so close he startled me. "Ready as I'll ever be, I guess" I sighed. He acknowledged my sigh, but didn't say anything. 

We both walked out the door as I said goodbye to my mom. The car ride was silent, but not the comfortable silence from before. This was almost awkward. I decided to break the silence by asking about  basketball. "Hey, so do you know when Basketball is supposed to start?" I asked turning to face him. He kept his eyes on the road and nodded and said "In a few weeks." He said blandly. "Are you excited? Senior season woop woop" I said pumping my hands up. "Yea I guess" He said, same tone as before.

"What's up with you today?" I asked in a friendly, but concerned voice. "Nothing, just drop it" he said, sounding annoyed. "Oh ok" I said, not trying to hide the disappointment in my voice. 

"Oh, I forgot" he started, digging in his center console. "Here's your charm bracelet" He dropped it into my hand while keeping his eyes on the road. They must have taken it off at the hospital. I thought I had lost it.

We pulled into the campus parking lot, and walked into school silent. I hadn't expected a full welcoming committee, but thought there would at least be a few people who were glad I was back. We got to the point in the hall where we went our separate ways, and he said "so I'll see you at lunch I guess" and walked away. 

something was definitely up with him, but i had to get to my locker, so i put that thought aside. when I got to my locker, Taylen was just finishing up. "Heyy" I said cheerfully. "Hazel! you're back!" she said, embracing me in a welcoming hug. "Yep, never thought I'd be hearing that, but here we are" I said laughing.