3: Becoming Invisible

POV: Mason

"See ya later," she said, saluting me as she walked backwards away from me. it's a wonder she didn't bump into someone, as crowded as the halls were. I laughed at her dorkiness and walked away shaking my head. She can be a hoot sometimes.

Walking towards my locker, some guy ran into my shoulder and had the nerve to tell me to watch where i was going. I recognized this guy as Hazel's ex, Nick.

What an asshole. I can't fathom how he's even had a girlfriend before, especially someone like Hazel. I kept walking ignoring the douche bag and met up with Jackson, my best friend since the 5th grade when we fought over who got to use the last basketball.

We played a 1 v 1 game but I still ended up giving him the ball after I won. I liked playing basketball with him, that's why when we got to middle school we played on the school's team.

"Hey bro, you and Hazel together yet?" he asked, smirking like he does every day. When I introduced Hazel to Jackson and Taylen, his girlfriend, he immediately started trying to set us up together, none of his efforts ever working.

"Yo Jackson and you know it isn't gonna happen. We don't feel that way about each other.'' I stated, wishing he didn't have to be like this. Just because he had a girlfriend doesn't mean I had to have one too. And besides he doesn't have to know about my small crush on Hazel.

I mean, who wouldn't? She's beautiful, smart, independent, caring, respectful, trustworthy, the list goes on and on. but i could never admit it to her because I know she doesn't feel that way about me.

"Whatever you say dude" he says, shrugging it off.

As we walk into our first period, which is Spanish 2, we sit down and take out our notebooks. The teacher starts going over today's lesson and I find myself dozing off.

I woke up startled, getting slapped on the shoulder. "what'd I miss?" I said pretty loudly. The class around me snickers and goes back to what they were doing. "Dude, you missed the whole lesson" Jackson said between laughs, handing me his notes sheet.

"I'll copy them at lunch '' I said, thankful that he was paying attention for once. lunch was after next period so i had to wait until then. Next thing I know, everyone's phones start going off, with a mass message.

Kayla Brooks: *1 image*

Kayla Brooks: Thought she was sweet and innocent? turns out little miss perfect has STDs. better watch out guys and gals. Not so perfect after all, huh Hazel? :)

Oh shit.

I scrolled through the list of people who this message was sent to, but did not see Hazel's name. At least she didn't see it, but now someone has to break the news to her.

"Dude" Jackson whispered. "Don't even" I say sternly. "I'll tell her at lunch," I said, sighing. Why would Kayla have done this? I know she fancies making Hazel's life hell but this? This was pushing it over the limit.

I'm so glad I broke up with her when I did. I couldn't believe she had cheated on me after we had been together for almost a year. And with Ryder too? I mean Come on, How cliche? I'm just lucky to have been told the truth.

Shaking Kayla out of my mind, I focused on packing up the few things I had on my desk and walking to my next period as the bell rang. 'This was gonna be a long day' I thought to myself.

As soon as the bell rang I sprung out of my seat making a beeline towards the outdoor tables beside the cafeteria. On my way, I happened to spot Kayla, strutting down the hall looking pleased as she heard people whispering about Hazel.