7: Stay With Me

POV: Hazel

I kept slipping in and out of subconsciousness, so when I felt someone holding my hands, I felt safe. I didn't know where I was but I could barely make out the words the person was saying. 

"I'm here," the person said. I could hear more, but I couldn't fully put it together. They moved like they were getting ready to leave, so I tried as hard as I could to hold on to them. They stopped moving, and I heard "do it again" so, with all the strength I could find, I squeezed again, longer this time so they would stay, but they didn't. 

I heard noises, and felt something on my forehead. And then I was out again.

A couple days later.

I was just coming back when I heard another voice. It was different from the one before, but there were two people holding my hands this time. Using the same technique, I squeezed the hand of the person who was talking. They stopped and said something else, but I couldn't quite understand it. 

Then I heard the same voice as before. Hoping they would stay this time, I squeezed their hand. I heard a loud slap, and some excited words. I wanted to see who these people were. I tried to open my eyes, but it was hard. 

I kept trying, as I felt one person let go of my hand, while the other stayed. I was still trying really hard to open them, when the other person let go, and was ushered out of the room by a third voice. They got really close to my ear. 

"Hazel, can you hear me?" they said. I tried nodding my head, but I don't know if it moved. "Alright Hazel, this won't be easy, but I need you to listen to what i'm about to tell you ok?" I prepared myself for what she was about to say. 

"I need you to focus. Use every bit of your concentration to try and open your eyes." I could do that. I tried once, but did not get very far. The second time I tried, I saw a little bit of light from under my eyelid. And Finally, on the third try, I was able to fully open them. 

I started to cough, when I felt the tube in my throat. There was a Lady in the room with me. She was pretty, a nurse I think, and she pulled it out. "Welcome back Ms. Hazel!" she said, happily. She was the one who was telling me how to open my eyes. 

"I'm Phoebe," she said. "Now, can you tell me what you remember about getting into an accident?" she said, in a more serious tone. 

"I remember feeling a lot of pain, and wishing it would stop. And I remember someone screaming, but I don't remember who," I said. My voice was scratchy from not speaking. Phoebe brought me a glass of water to help, and said, 

"Ok hun, just relax now, I've got something to show you." she said, walking out the door, leaving it cracked. I could hear her talking to some people. 

"Alright you two, you have to remember, she's still very sore and has been through a lot. Need I remind you, she may have some spotted memory for a little while. For example, when we asked her if she remembered what happened to her, she couldn't fully remember, so keep that in mind ok?." 

After she finished, she pushed the door open, so she could walk in. "Miss Hazel, you have some visitors!" she said cheerfully, while waving them in. 

As soon as I saw Mason smiling, I knew it had been him who was talking to me when I was asleep, and holding my hand. I saw Taylen too, which meant she was the other person. 

Me being me I had to mess with them a little bit and said "Who are you?". 

Masons face fell, instantly, and he stalked out of the room. "Dang, what's got his panties in a wad," I said, not being able to stop the smile that spread across my face. "Hazel," Taylen said, laughing, "you scared the crap out of us!" She said, rushing over to embrace me in a gentle hug.