14: Co-existing

POV: Mason

So far, the morning went by smoothly besides Hazel waking up late. We got to school right on time.

Last night after I went to my room I messaged Kayla to understand all the rules and regulations of this 'relationship'. She already told me I couldn't tell anyone that it was part of a deal to stop the hate on Hazel, but that didn't mean that was the only condition she had.

She said that as long as we were in public, we had to act like a couple. Holding hands, kissing when appropriate, actually pretending to like each other. And she had to become a part of our friend group.

I knew this wouldn't end well. The others hated Kayla. Not that I was a fan of her myself, but I had to do this for hazel. I just hoped she would understand.

When I walked to lunch hand-in-hand with Kayla, Taylen and Jackson looked at me like I'd just murdered someone. "Hey guys" I said, pretending nothing was out of the ordinary. They sat there speechless. I didn't blame them for it either.

"What's going on here?" I heard Hazel say from behind me. "Mason didn't tell you?" Kayla said, turning around. Hazel walked around to sit next to Jackson as Kayla finished her sentence "He decided to give us a second chance!" she said, clearly over-doing it. "And when did this happen?" she asked, finally looking at me. I could see the anger and betrayal in her face, so I tried my best to smile. I was about to answer when Kayla butted in. ""oh, who cares it-"

"I didn't ask you," Hazel interrupted. "Are you really going to let her talk to me like that babe?" she said in the most pick-me girl voice. This was going to get annoying very quickly. Because I didn't say something right away, she looked at me angrily. "Sorry darling. Please don't talk to my girlfriend that way" I said looking at Hazel. She looked pissed.

"What the hell dude?" Jackson said, shaking his head. "What do you mean?" I asked. I knew exactly what he meant but I had to stay strong. "She cheated on you!" Taylen answered. She was very right. But I had to come up with something. So i said "That was in the past. And she admitted that it was a mistake and promised she wouldn't do it again." Jackson mumbled "once a cheater, always a cheater" but not quiet enough because Kayla stood up, angrily sticking a finger in his face.

God, I wanted to punch her right now. No one deserves that. "Listen here you little sh-" Kayla began before getting interrupted by Taylen who also stood up, fuming. "Back the fuck up, bitch" she spat.

If I were Jackson right now, my only thought would be 'that's my girl'. "Are we going to have a problem here?" Kayla said, pretending that she didn't just blow up at Jackson. They just stood there until I realized I was gonna have to do something.

So I pulled Kayla down and said to them both "Now girls, there's no reason to be getting worked up. Taylen, please apologize to Kayla". "Fuck no, she said, sitting back down. "Hey man, don't tell her what to do," Jackson said defensively. "They are going to have to learn to get along somehow." I said. Oh lord. Here comes the fun part. I hope they don't hate me.

"And why is that?" Hazel said with an attitude. Lord kill me now. "Because she's a part of our group now" I said, trying not to cringe at the words I was saying. Everyone looked outraged. "You don't get to decide this all of a sudden" Hazel said angrily. "Yea," Jackson added on "to hell with that" Taylen nodded in agreement.

I wish I could explain everything. I didn't mean any of it. And I hated seeing them upset because of me. "Well she's staying whether you like it or not '' was all i could say.

Hazel stood up from the table. "If she's in, I'm out" damn it Kayla. I just got her back. "Me too," Taylen said, nodding at her. They both looked expectantly at Jackson, who complied and said "Sorry dude, I'm with them", holding his hands up and stood up to follow the other two.