11: Red Flag

The deafening rumble of the thunder echoing throughout the campus, the ear-splitting lightning piercing across the pitch-black sky and the hefty pitter-patter of the rain on the roof of the main building were what welcomed me the moment I exited the library.

          The hallway was deserted as I couldn’t see any other students littering around nor staff rounding the rooms. Even the janitors who were usually cleaning up at this time were nowhere to be seen. If it wasn’t for the bright light coming from the fluorescent lamps on the ceiling, I was sure it would be as if I was in a scene straight out of a horror movie.

          It was already past six o’clock in the evening and I was just going home now because I got holed up in the library, finishing a requirement that must be submitted tomorrow morning since that witch of a professor changed the due date at the last minute.

          I knew it was better to just do it in the confines of my room with a warm milk choco on my table. However, the book that I borrowed for reference was so heavy that I refused to put it inside my bag and bring it home.

          I was currently regretting I made that childish decision.

          Because now, I had no idea how in the world would I get out of here since out of all the days I was being a girl scout just in case it rained, I chose today to not bring an umbrella. My phone had also run out of battery so there was no means for me to inform a certain someone who was probably waiting for me in the parking lot inside her car.

          Great.

          Just my luck.

          “Jimin?”

          My heart almost jumped out of my chest at the unexpected emergence of an unfamiliar voice.

          “Oh, hi.” I breathed out when I recognized the face of the newly arrived person. “Minju, right?”

          She smiled, seemingly pleased that I remembered her name.

          How could I not?

          It wasn’t every day I get to meet a pretty girl.

          “Why are you still here?” she asked.

          “I finished some requirements in the library.” I figured it was fine to tell her about my misfortune. “I was about to leave but it suddenly rained and I don’t have an umbrella with me so I’m stuck here.”

          “I brought mine and it is big enough for us to fit under.” I watched as she pulled out her umbrella from her backpack and opened it to prove her words. “We could share if you don’t mind?”

          What..?

          I refrained myself from raising an eyebrow.

          This was only the second time we were meeting and she seemed already comfortable around me. Don’t get me wrong, I had absolutely no problem with this kind of attitude. It was just I had already grown accustomed to seeing people afraid to approach me because apparently, I looked intimidating.

          “I don’t want to impose...”

          “Come on,” she urged. “I insist.”

          I pondered about it for a second.

          It was really embarrassing to trouble someone I wasn’t close with and definitely something I wouldn’t under normal circumstances. But I guess it was better than waiting for the rain to stop which I was sure wouldn’t be happening any time soon.