25: Your Win

Stirring my cup of barley tea, I had my eyes glued at my phone screen, expecting a message that would usually arrive around this time of day. I'd been waiting for thirty minutes now and still hadn't received anything. 

               This was frustrating me. 

               I hadn’t heard from her ever since she left me last night.

               The ride back to Seoul had me exhausted that I could hardly keep my eyes open when we arrived backk home, but I forced myself to stay awake for her because she always make sure to message me before we sleep, only to be disappointed. 

               This was what I hated the most. 

               To be utterly clueless of what was going on. 

               I knew she already made it clear that she doesn’t want our relationship to be just purely platonic; that she doesn’t need friends. However, the fact that she left me in the dark was still maddening considering things were going so well between us for the last couple of days. 

               Our relationship was improving. 

               I don’t understand. 

               The sound of a car honking broke my train of thoughts, causing me to scurry toward our gate in expectation of seeing her and give her a piece of my mind. But instead of a familiar figure leaning against her Nissan GTR with a dull expression on her face, I was met with someone I least expected to see in front of our abode. 

               “R-Ryujin?” 

               Her lips curved into a blinding grin, pushing herself off her car to walk up to me. 

               “Good morning, Jimin.” 

               I bit my lower lip. 

               This was strange. 

               “What are you doing here?” 

               “I’m driving you to school,” she replied, the smile never leaving her face. “Is that okay?” 

               What? 

               I stared at her, puzzled. 

               “W-Where’s your sister?” 

               The minimal change in her expression didn’t go unnoticed, leaving me wondering if I said something wrong. 

               “Mj won’t be attending school today.” 

               The creases between my brows deepened. 

               She won’t be attending school? 

               That was unheard of. 

                Winter was a slacker and was always ditching her classes, but never even once did she skip school. 

               “Why?” I probed. “Is she sick?” 

               “I don’t know, Jimin.” She sighed. “She didn’t tell me the reason.” 

               I fought the urge to interrogate her further. 

               Just as when I thought she couldn’t get any weirder, here was her sister turning up to inform me that she basically wasn’t going to show herself today.