21: Stay Away

If someone told me a month ago that thoughts of  Winter would occupy my mind day and night, I would definitely gag in disgust and accuse them of blasphemy. The old me wouldn’t even waste a single second coming up with ways to kill her off without leaving any trace of evidence that would point the murder to me, let alone think of her in a positive light. This drastic change in myself was so baffling in a sense that I didn’t see it happening, yet at the same time, it was as if something leaden inside my chest disappeared into oblivion and was surmounted by peace.

               I knew my initial plan was to act like a good girlfriend to make it up to her for being such a bitch the other day, but along the way, I found myself throwing everything out of the window and behaved according to the emotions I was having. Special mention: The kiss. I think that was the most genuine gesture I ever did in my entire existence. At that very moment, when she was about to open the door of her car, I got the gnawing feeling that Winter deserved a token of appreciation for bringing me into that magical place and I was glad the first thing that popped out in my mind was to kiss her. The reaction that I got afterward was so priceless. It wasn’t every day I get to witness the Minjeong Kim who was always so confident, looking so flustered and embarrassed.

               I couldn’t believe I’d say this, but I was glad I accepted her offer that day because I was given the opportunity to know Minjeong Kim beyond her reputation.

               She was an unpredictable person.

               I could never guess what she was thinking nor what she was going to do every time we were together.

               It was endearing nonetheless.

               Though, there was still something that kept bothering me.

               We’d already gotten past the one-sided hate relationship a week ago and I’d already established the fact that I care for her; even admitted it out loud. However, labeling what we had right now was close to impossible. I mean, yes, we were in a relationship due to our deal; but setting that aside, what exactly were we? Friends were out of the question since she made it clear that she doesn’t need one so where does that leave us?

               I was trying to come up with answers when I felt someone tapping my shoulder, interrupting my thoughts. “A penny for your thoughts?”

               Oh, right.

               I was with Yeji.

               We had agreed to pass by the remaining minutes of our lunch break at the back of the main building since the music room was locked for some reason and we couldn’t contact Chaewon. This was one of the spots in school where students don’t flock in so it was just perfect for us both who weren’t people person.

               “It’s nothing,” I answered. “More importantly, what’s with this crowd?”

               I looked over the two people who were occupied with their own Switch, playing something I was assuming was Breath of the Wild based on the sound. They were loud as they argue over trivial matters.

               The other one was a few meters away from me, her back resting against a tree, arms folded over her chest, and her eyes were closed, appearing so tranquil. She messaged me earlier, asking where I was when she found out the music room was unavailable. I figured it was fine to tell her since it wouldn’t be just the two of us. Besides, I kind of wanted to see her.