24: Take Care

It was already past three o’clock in the afternoon when I groggily opened my eyes from a two-hour sleep.

               The drive to Busan drained my energy to zero that I immediately drifted off to sleep as soon as I entered our hotel suite.

               I was also sleep-deprived because of the unwanted thoughts that kept on bothering me last night until I could hear the rooster crowing.

               With difficulty, I pushed myself out of the comfort of the bed to walk toward the balcony.

               A cool wind immediately kissed my skin after I slid the glass door open.

               The sky was a clear blue speckled with the softest accents of white; a warm light hugged the land as the sun stretched out, rays cascading onto the world, bringing the scene into full view, adjusting the brightness and contrast to allow anyone to witness a scenery only this place could offer.

               Now, this was something you would rarely see in the city.

               I would’ve enjoyed this more, if not for the current situation outside my room.

               The indistinct chatters of people of different professions along with the annoying sound of their voices as if fragmented metals inside a sack, moving and grinding against each other, the rushed and heavy footsteps on the floor, and the pressure in the air invading my nose had me regretting I agreed to come with them here.

               Those people were so intense.

               Not that it was anything new.

               My parents view social gatherings as an opportunity to show off and secure their status in the society. They were among those stinky people who would give their blood, sweat, and tears in order to gain attention and impress the public.

               Pretentious as well.

               Because when we weren’t inside the privacy of our house, they would behave as if there wasn’t a feud within our family caused by their failure to be decent parents to their child just to project our image as a “perfect” family everybody should admire.

               It wasn’t really a problem to me especially since I rarely attend events with them anymore, but it doesn’t mean I don’t find it annoying every time they would smile at me and pretend like doting parents they never were.

               Even though unwilling, I forced myself to leave my room, ignoring every person who would politely sens me their regards on the way, and made a beeline toward the other room.

               “There’s always a crease on your forehead every time I see you,” remarked Jisoo once I closed the door behind me. She was in front of this room’s vanity mirror; at least three people were surrounding her doing her make-up, nails, and hair. “Did that become permanent already?”

               “Oh, shut up.” I dropped myself on the chair beside her. “You know why my face is currently like this.”

               “Jimin.” There goes that tone again. “Mind your manners.”

               “Whatever.”

               “Minjeong and Ryujin will be there,” she said as a matter of fact. “You won’t be bored.”