16

"I present to you," the King continued, "fresh premium human blood".

I felt sick. My hand reached out and clutched Jungwon's arm before I could topple over, gripping onto the expensive fabric of his blazer. He immediately looked down at me with an equal amount of concern and confusion evident in his eyes, a hand coming up to my other arm to steady me.

"Jungwon." I rasped, eyes never leaving my childhood friend that was about to be slaughtered. Tears welled up as I saw the terrified expression plastered on Hyun Joo's face.

Such a young child.

"Yumin, what's wrong?" Jungwon whispered to me, pulling me closer into his side as he noticed my frantic state and the unforgiving glances being thrown our way. "I know it's quite shocking, believe me, but-"

His eyes widened, finally understanding what was causing me to panic. "Don't tell me-"

"He's like a younger brother to me." I whispered, horrified at the treatment the guards were giving to Hyun Joo as he tried to fight back. Around us, nobels whispered as they disapproved of his actions. I flinched as the guards forced him onto his knees, the hollow thud of him meeting the floor echoing around the ballroom.

My hold on Jungwon's shirt tightened. "Jungwon, please do something. Anything." I desperately whispered.

He frantically looked around, wracking his sharp mind to try and think of a solution. However, by the fall of his face, I knew that even Jungwon was not able to do anything. Considering Jake's stiff stance, it was obvious he didn't know what to do either.

"Human," the Sim Kong's voice boomed out, silencing everyone. "Do you have any last words to say?"

Hyunjoo stopped struggling, body relaxing on the ground. To my surprise, he looked up, eyes meeting mine. I almost choked on my silent tears at the sight.

"Yes, I do." Hyunjoo said, his voice so familiar yet with such a new tone. "I want each and everyone of you in this room to know: you are not invincible. You can't hide behind you fancy goblets and lace forever."

A gasp shuddered throughout the room at the small boy's words. Even I was caught off guards by his tone and fierce gaze.

Not a single hint of fear shone in his eyes.

"I might die here tonight, but I'd gladly do it again just to get this message through." Hyunjoo's young eyes hardened. "This is our declaration of a revolution, the orphans of the farms all of you so tenderly care for. We are no longer oblivious to the fate that was decided for us, nor will we allow it to happen. Even if these are my last words, I want everyone of you to know:

You are weak. You will not win."

And that was when I saw it. Metal glinted in the castle lights with a click flick of Hyunsoo's wrist. The guard behind him went down, blood spurting out of the knife lodged in his throat.

Another gasp, and even a few shrieks, weaved through the crowd. The nobels took an uneasy step back.

Almost immediately, Hyun Soo fell, his small hand reaching up to clutch a knife lodged into his own throat. The crowd cheered as the aroma of premium blood flooded their senses, the king putting the rest of his knives back into his hilt.

My knees gave out, but Jungwon caught me before I could slump on the ground. I turned around, pressing my face into his chest. I felt bile rise in my throat as my tears quickly stained his dress shirt.

"Hyunsoo- he-" I choked into his shirt. He wrapped secure arms around me, hands coming up to pay my head.

"I know." He whispered, eyes painfully closing together. "I know."

And as the servants bustled around to serve the fresh blood, everything went into a haze.