2.39

Jungwon jumped up from his seat. "What is the meaning of this?" he demanded.

The Queen turned her wicked smile towards him. "What other meaning could there be? You are going to marry Lady Clora. I had no such knowledge that you were this dense."

Lady Clora curtsied, her eyelashes fluttering. "It is my greatest honor to be presented this opportunity to be with his highness."

"I don't recall ever giving you permission to speak, Lady Clora." He snapped back.

Hearing this, I numbly watched as she pursed her lips and stepped back behind the queen like the cowardly person she was. Although, i'm not sure if I could be considered any better as I, too, was just silently observing behind Jungwon.

After all, it appears that nothing could ever go my way.

I have no place to talk.

Even now, I am powerless.

Jungwon was clenching his fists so hard that I could see his knuckles physically turning white. "I cannot believe this nonsense. I demand proof at this instance or I will order the deaths of every single person who dared to lie to the future King."

My eyes took every feature of his in, what everyone in the room could see. I could see the fire I saw the first time I met him in his eyes again, like he could swallow the entire room up in flames without a second thought. His jaw was clenched, indicating the great anger seething out of him.

But I know Jungwon more than everyone else. I can see every small detail and action of his that he so desperately tries to hide.

The tremor in his hand. The almost inhumane stillness of the rest of his body. The short, shaky puffs of air he was letting out.

Yang Jungwon was scared. Scared for me, himself, and our future.

Our future.

If I hadn't been in such a dangerous situation, I might've laughed. How silly of me, to think that I would be given a future with the boy I loved simply because I was blessed with being a Pure Blood.

Hah, 'blessed'? No. This is no blessing. This is a curse. A blessed-curse.

I'm left with powers that are useless in this situation once again.

The Queen's sinister giggle caught my attention once again. Her sharp teeth flashed through the slender hand she had raised in front of her mouth"If you request it, I must follow your order, your highness."

With a flick of her wrist, two servants marched in carrying a scroll with the royal seal gleaming in its glory for all to see (a little pointless for two people to carry a mere rolled up sheet of paper if you ask me). One of the servants, evidently the announcer, cleared her throat and started reading.

"Here is an excerpt from the late King, written in his honored writing and confirmed with his signature. He writes, 'Should my son, Prince Jungwon of the noble Yang Kingdom, remain unmarried at the time of my passing, he is to marry Lady Clora, the daughter of the humble Minister Kim'".

Silence.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the way the other six boys were whispering amongst themselves in shock and anger, shooting daggered looks at the Queen. I could even make out the rather un-princely like finger Sunoo secretly stuck out at her with a disgusted look on his face.

She only curtsied at Jungwon and I, performing it in a mocking action. "I present to you, the words of my husband".

Those were her last words before she turned around without another glance and blended back into the crowd.

The crowd only looked between Jungwon and I, waiting and looking for any sign of a reaction.

Jungwon looked deep in thought, eyes moving back and forth. Then, he sharply looked up. "This is a celebration for Yumin, not some silly request my father made."

The crowd stared back at him, unsure what to do.

"Celebrate!" He barked again, waving his arms in frustration.

At the dark tone of his voice, the orchestra scrambled to start playing their instruments again while the nobles started a panicked dance and other activities that could be deemed as celebrating.

My hand weakly held his elbow. "Jungwon..."

The young prince clasped my hand, his large eyes boring into mine. "I know. Let's go somewhere quieter."

Jungwon led me by hand to a hidden balcony, away from the party and loads of people that were starting to make my head spin. Once he had made sure I wasn't going through and withdrawals or physical pain, he released my hand and looked at the ground. I pursed my lips.

"Jungwon, I don't think we can do anything-"

"Let's get married, Yumin."