2.32

Geonu led me underground, through doors made thick and heavy with steel. If it weren't for the way my body guard swiftly opened it, I would have assumed that the doors were nearly impossible to open. Or perhaps they were. It didn't matter to me. I had more dire things in mind. 

"Trust me."

Jungwon's words rang in my head. That fucking idiot. Of course, I didn't doubt his abilities. However, how could I trust that even someone capable as Jungwon would be able to make it out of a literal massacre alive?

My hands wouldn't stop shaking, no matter how hard I willed them to. In complete honesty, my body was still going through shock at what I had just witnessed. We had gone from an intense yet harmless power war at dinner to absolute chaos in a matter of minutes. Splatters of the King's blood was still drying on my cheek and finger. 

I heard the others before I saw them, their panicked voices bouncing off the metal walls as they spoke. We were in an underground cellar, no doubt a safe space made for the vampires underneath the palace grounds. They probably didn't even expect to have to use it. 

I recognized the Queen first. She was rambling, arms flailing around as she paced back and forth through the cellar. As Geonu and I quickly padded into the safe area, there was a hushed, frightened whisper as everyone tried to predict what was going on above.

"Is Jungwon the only one up there?" I managed to bring myself to whisper to Geonu, tugging at his arm. His lips were set in a firm line, eyebrows furrowed and seemingly worried himself. He even looked shaken. 

"No." He breathed out. "There is a team of sentinels with him."

I let out a breath of relief, though it only settled a few of my worries for him. However, at this point, there was nothing I could do. Even if I tried to help Jungwon, there was no way I would be able to get past Geonu. 

"Your majesty, please calm down." One of the masked guards said. "We're getting everything under control."

I looked up. The Queen abruptly stopped, turning to the guard with a furious face. Even though there was a very noticeable hight difference, the guard cowered under her infuriated face. 

"Everything is under control?" She scoffed, before pointing at the ceiling, yelling "Are you trying to tell me that is under control? My husband- your King, dare I add- was just murdered! And you're trying to tell me that everything is under control?"

The masked guard only blinked at her. "Well-"

"I want their heads. I want every single person that participated in this attack on their knees at my feet, begging for forgiveness." She fumed. "Bring them right this-"

Suddenly, a static noise cut her off. Our heads turned to notice a t.v. on every corner of the ceiling, lighting up and buzzing. Just looking at the flashing lights made my eyes hurt. It felt like we were waiting for hours before the static stopped and a video appeared on the tvs. Confused murmurs drifted through the air when the video cleared up. 

My hand flew to my mouth, holding in a strangled scream. Alarmed at my close outburst, Geonu touched my arm with wide eyes. "What's wrong, my lady?"

I couldn't answer him. My eyes were glued to the screen, my mind trying to process whether what I was seeing was real or not. No, there was no way this was real. There was no way that this was happening. There was no way this person on the screen could be alive.

However, the second the person started talking, there was no doubt about it. I would recognize her voice anywhere.

Yun Seo.