Four

I woke up to the sound of rain hitting the window. I reached out for my phone, extremely thankful that my headache was only a minor one.

The door creaked open, and Tyler walked in with his hands behind his back.

"Good morning, baby," he said quietly. He pulled his hands out, revealing a bouquet of white roses. "I felt bad about what happened. I shouldn't of yelled at you. Plus, white roses have always been your favorite."

He set the roses down on the bedside table as I ran my hand through my tangly morning hair.

"Where's your ring?" he demanded, suddenly grabbing my left hand.

"Relax, Tyler, it was driving me nuts last night while I was trying to sleep," I explained with a heavy sigh. I slid the ring back on to make him happy.

"You're worrying me, Elle," he sighed as he sank down beside me on the bed.

"How?" I questioned, raising my eyebrow at him.

"You weren't wearing your ring, and you randomly pulled that shit last night," he explained as he folded his arms over his chest. I felt my face suddenly turn hot. He was accusing me of being sketchy when he couldn't even answer my simple question last night. I threw back the covers, and I stormed off without answering him.

"Well, good morning, sunshine!" Jamie teased from the kitchen bar. I shot a glare his way as I opened the refrigerator. "Not in the mood?"

"Hell no," I replied. I grabbed a glass from one of the cabinets and poured myself a glass of orange juice.

"I made bacon, too, if that will make you more cheery," he informed me, a smirk playing at his lips. I couldn't help but crack a small smile as I grabbed a piece.

"Bacon does, in fact, make me cheery," I said as I sat down next to him at the bar. I'm not sure how or why, but I was super comfortable around Jamie. He just gave off this sense of security and peace, and that's a rare quality to find.

I took a moment to take his appearance in. He wore a loose t-shirt from some old hockey club he used to belong to, and a pair of gray sweatpants hung loosely off of his hips. His hair was a mess, and I found myself wanting to run my fingers through it.

Stop it, Elle, my conscious warned me, and I forced myself to look away from him and into my glass of juice.

"What's going on up there?" Jamie asked, tapping on my head with his pointer finger. I felt my face get hot, but it definitely wasn't from anger this time.

"You really want to know?" I questioned. He nodded as he bit into a piece of bacon, his eyes trained in on mine. Hockey player stares were probably the most intimidating; they had it down to a science.

"Go on," he urged.

"To be completely honest, I was thinking about how soft your hair looks and how much I'd want to run my fingers through it," I stated, folding my arms across my chest. This time, his face turned pink as he ran his own fingers through his hair.

He was only in stunned silence for a moment, though.

"Any time, Eleanor, any time."

••••••••••••

After my banter with Jamie, I felt the need to go get some air. I didn't bother showering; I figured I wouldn't be gone too long. As I was making my way towards the elevator, my phone rang.

"Hello?" I answered without checking my caller I.D. It was a bad habit I had formed, and it caused me plenty of embarrassment on the times when I assumed it was Tyler, but it was really my brother.

"Elle!! I heard you were in Dallas!"

I could recognize that voice anywhere. It was Shay, my best friends from Tyler's time with the Plymouth Whalers.

"Shay! You heard correct, I'm here with Ty," I replied as I hit the down button on the elevator.

"That's so great! I'm here, too! I've been working for the Dallas Cowboys," she explained. "I'm the girl who keeps the cheerleaders in shape! Someone's gotta do it!

"I'm so proud of you, Shay! You busy today?"

"Nope, I'm all yours! Come down to the stadium, I'll show you around," she offered. I had no idea how to get to the stadium.

"Of course, I'll meet you there?" I asked, stepping out into the lobby.

"See ya!"

I ended the call, and I called Jamie immediately after.

"Did you get hit by a bus? I told you those things moved pretty damn fast," he answered. I rolled my eyes despite the fact that he couldn't even see me.

"Shut up, Chubbs. I need a ride to the Cowboys stadium," I told him as I sat down one of the white leather couches they had scattered across the lobby.

"You know they don't just let anyone in there on non-game days, right?" he teased. I once again rolled my eyes.

"Quit being difficult, and please get your big ass down here," I demanded in a fake sweet voice. He laughed into the phone before hanging up on me.

About ten minutes later, the elevator gave a ding, and the doors opened to reveal a freshly showered Jamie Benn; hair wet and everything. Damn.

"How'd you manage to shower so fast?" I questioned as we fell in stride together, headed out the doors.

"I was showering when you called," he answered with a laugh.

"So you got out of the shower just to answer your phone?" I teased, bumping my shoulder into his. He gave a small laugh, and he turned his head to meet my gaze.

"Anything for you," he said simply, his eyes piercing into mine. God, he was so intimidating, yet I couldn't look away.

Elle, what in the hell are you doing?!

I shook my head and finally tore my eyes off of his, as hard as that was. Something was changing. I didn't know what exactly, but I could feel a shift beginning to occur.

I decided that I would have to try to be a better fiancée to Tyler. No more being all googly-eyed over Jamie, I told myself. Tyler was my future husband, and I needed be loyal. I honestly don't know what I would do if I ever found out he wasn't loyal to me, and I didn't want to put him through that.

But as I looked back at Jamie's broad shoulders and strong arms, I felt my insides melt.

I was in trouble.