Twenty-One

After the last throw pillow was haphazardly thrown onto the couch, the decorating of our new apartment was done. I turned to Jamie, clapping my hands together in excitement. His signature grin found its way onto his face as he walked over to me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pressed his lips against mine in a happy kiss.

It'd only been a little over year since I'd first met Jamie, and it was insane how quickly he had turned my life around. I couldn't have been more thankful for him.

On the other hand, it felt like it had been an eternity since I caught Tyler. I pushed him out of my mind.

"Guess what?" Jamie asked as he leaned back, keeping his hands on my hips.

"What?"

"After the game this afternoon, we're going to celebrate."

"Celebrate how?" I questioned.

"You'll see. I should get going," he commented after he looked down at his watch. I adjusted his tie and he gave me one more kiss before heading out the door. I looked as he left, wondering what in the hell he had planned.

I had more than enough time to get ready, so I figured I would actually attempt to look good, especially since Jamie had mentioned celebrating.

I curled my hair, put on a little more makeup than my usual eyeliner and mascara, and put on some nice clothes. I wasn't a huge fan of going all out for hockey games. I was there to have fun, not to walk in a fashion show.

I slid a silver Dallas Stars charm bracelet onto my wrist, grabbed my purse, and headed out the door. Krystal had texted me a few minutes beforehand to tell me she was waiting for me in the parking garage.

"Hey, girl," she said as I hopped in. I smiled over at her.

"Hey," I replied, folding my legs after I had put my seatbelt on.

"How's it going?" she questioned, glancing over her shoulder as we pulled out of the parking garage.

"Good! We got done decorating today, and Jamie said he has a celebration planned," I explained. Krystal raised her eyebrows.

"Ooooh, a surprise, huh?"

"Sounds like it," I said with a laugh. "I'm kind of nervous."

"What?" Krystal questioned. "Why?"

"I don't even know, really. Come to think of it, we've never really and truly went out on a genuine date by ourselves. I mean, I'm not complaining, I love him and dates don't really matt-"

I stopped mid-sentence, realizing what I had just said. Krystal looked at me with wide eyes and a grin.

"Did you just say what I thought you said?"

"I did."

"Elle loves Jamie, Elle loves Jamie!" she chanted in a sing-songy voice. I felt my cheeks warm up as I reached across to gently smack her arm. "Aw, don't be embarrassed, E. It's cute. You should tell him."

"Is it too soon for that?" I asked, fingering the charm on my bracelet. Krystal shrugged.

"In my opinion, there's no too soon. If you love him, you love him. Don't be embarrassed about your feelings. Don't throw those walls up. I know this is weird, and I know you're probably scared as hell to be loving someone. Just be honest with him. I'm sure he'll appreciate it."

I smiled over at my new best friend. Other than Jamie, she was the best thing that had happened to me since I came to Dallas. I knew I could always count on her to be there for me.