Twenty

How I found myself at a dinner table sitting across from Tyler and Shay, I'm not sure. I'm only sure of one thing, and that's the fact that I wanted to jump across this stupid table and punch both of them in the face.

Unfortunately, I couldn't now due to the massive, completely staged, media presence. After Jamie and Tyler's little fight in the locker room, Stars PR team was absolutely livid. They wouldn't stand for their two best forwards to be battling.

So there we sat, smiles plastered on our faces, making small talk that was in no way natural. The PR team made us practice before we even arrived.

"Can you pass me the salt, honey?" Shay asked Tyler, her voice dripping with sweetness as she shot a glance my way. Jamie placed his hand on my knee and gave it a small squeeze. I looked over at him, and my heart did a little flip when I saw that he was already looking at me. I don't know if I'll ever get used to it, and I don't know if I want to.

"More wine?" the waiter questions as he stops in front of our table, holding the most expensive bottle of wine in the place. Also staged by PR. We all nodded in agreement, trying to down as many glasses as possible. Anything to make this night be over and done with.

After our meals arrived, the media left us alone to eat. The second the last photographer shut the lense down, the claws came out and the teeth were bared.

"Hey, Jams, can I have the salt?" I questioned. He set down his fork so he could grab it, keeping his other hand protectively attached to my knee.

"Here you go, babe," he said as he handed it to me.

"Cut the shit."

Everyone's eyes landed on Shay, including Tyler's.

"What?" Jamie asked, his eyebrows pulling together in confusion. His grip on my knee slightly tightened, so I gently ran my fingers up and down his forearm in attempt to calm him.

"All this. You calling her babe. Her rubbing your arm like you're some type of pet," she spat, looking angrily at Jamie and I.

"What's the problem with that?" I questioned her as my hand came to a stop at Jamie's elbow.

"It's fake. It's all fake!" her voice began to rise, and Tyler placed a hand on her shoulder.

"It's not fake." Up until that point, Tyler had remained silent. My eyes shifted from Shay to Tyler in an instant.

"And how would you know?" Shay snapped. Tyler took a deep breath.

"Look, Shay. They care about each other. He obviously cares about her now more than I did towards the end of things. Can we please just get this dinner done and over with?" he explained, an obvious pained look in his eyes. He looked up at me, but I instantly looked away.

I didn't feel sorry him. Not after what he did to me, and definitely not after what he did to Jamie. They could kiss up and play nice all they had to to please PR and the media, but I wanted nothing to do with it.

•••••••••••••••••••••

The first road trip of the season is always the worst. The first fight of the season is also always the worst. Even better when the first fight occurs on the first road trip.

"Why in the hell were you out with Tyler last night?"

It probably wasn't a great way to start a phone call, but after seeing some sleazy blondes hanging off of Jamie and Tyler at some night club in LA on Tyler's Instagram, I was livid.

"Babe, calm down," Jamie said gently into the phone, which, of course, made me even more upset.

Call it overreacting, but after what I went through with Tyler, I was scared to death of losing Jamie the same way. If it had been a simple picture, I would've been fine. But it wasn't a simple picture. One girl had her arms wrapped around Jamie's neck from behind, her tits threatening to fall out and become completely exposed, with her plump red lips pressed against his stubbly cheek.

The other blonde was squatting down beside them, her hand draped over Jamie's knee, a little too far up for my comfort.

"I can't calm down! Why would you let them do that?" I questioned, pushing myself off of the couch to pace the bare living room. Since that creepy interviewer found Jamie's address, we decided to move again. We hadn't gotten the chance to go furniture shopping or anything like that since moving.

"What are you even talking about? Who's 'them'?" he replied.

"Gee, I don't know. Maybe those two blondes with their hands and lips all over you?" I was never able to bite back sarcasm when I was this angry.

"Oh my god, are you kidding me?" Jamie asked, beginning to sound extremely irritated.

"Why would I be kidding? I'm freaking out!" I exclaimed, running my hand through my mess of a hair. It was two in the morning, and I should've been asleep. But after stalking
@/Tashababey and @/Kaylamaksia on Instagram, it was hard to get peace of mind.

"I don't understand why," he told me. "You know what dating a hockey player is like! You've told me multiple times that you understood the lifestyle and what comes with it!"

"Are you fucking serious? Dating a hockey player has never been about having to see girls all over him! That might be the 'lifestyle', Jamie, but when it comes to posing for pictures and allowing that to happen? That's bullshit and you know it!"

"It was a promo picture for the stupid club that Tyler dragged me to!"

"I don't care! Don't bring Tyler into this! Just because I'm pissed at him does not mean that you can drag him into this argument and try to make it look like it's his fault. It doesn't work that way!"

"So you're on his side?!"

"I didn't say that! What I'm saying is that regardless of who brought you to the club, you didn't have to take that damn picture! And even if you did have to take the picture, you sure as hell didn't have to let those girls pose like that!"

"Elle, babe-"

I cut him off.

"I've got to go."

"Eleanor."

"Bye."

I hung up as quickly as I could and then slammed my phone down onto the couch. At that point, all I wanted to do was curl up in bed and sleep.

I picked up my phone to make sure it was okay before heading upstairs into the bedroom. I absentmindedly ran through my nightly routine: washed my face, brushed my teeth, put my hair up, took my contacts out, and changed into my pajamas. After I crawled under the covers, I noticed I had a text from Jamie.

Jamie💙
Elle, I'm really sorry. Please know that I mean that. I feel awful. I was just sitting there and the next thing I knew, the owner was posing everyone around us, and I didn't realize what was happening until the picture was taken.

Elle❤️
I'm just terrified after what happened with Tyler...

Jamie💙
I would never ever ever do anything like that. You know that, babe.

Elle❤️
I do know that. I'm still terrified. I don't know what I'll do if I lose you like that..

Jamie💙
You won't lose me. I want this. I want all of it; the arguments, the late night conversations. I want your sarcasm and your intelligence. I just want all of it with you.

My heart instantly swelled up inside my chest, a wave of butterflies and warmth crashing through my stomach.

Elle❤️
I'm sorry I yelled at you..

Jamie💙
It's alright. You had every right to yell. I'll be home late tomorrow, but for now, you should get some sleep. Goodnight, baby girl.😘❤️

Elle❤️
Goodnight, handsome boy.😘💙