Performance

METROPOLIS
December 22, 14:39 EDT

Claire tapped the snooze button on her alarm for the third time and snuggled deeper into her comforter, burying her head into it like it would shield her from the world.

But, what she didn't know is that it wouldn't shield her from Cami.

Before she knew it, the sheets were forcefully ripped from over her and left her vulnerable to the biting chill of the morning air beneath her pajamas.

She groaned and cracked one eye open to glare at her sister, who only crossed her arms and patted her foot on the floor.

She closed her eye and sighed, "Real mature, Cami."

"Thank you 'cause I'm not about to watch you wallow around contemplating about your self-worth for another day. Get up; breakfast will be ready in ten."

She laid unmoving and listened for Cami's receding footsteps before she rolled over onto her back and stared aimlessly at her ceiling.

A single tiny tear rolled down before she forced herself out of bed and got semi-ready for the day. After she was done with everything, she trudged down the stairs and to the dining room. But, she perked up a little when she saw Captain Atom sitting there along with the rest of her family.

"CA? What're you doin' here?"

Her parents winced at her expression, and Cami frowned at the clear bags under her eyes from stress.

She just wished Claire would open up more to her. She knew about the argument she had with Kid Flash, but she could feel there was more than what Claire was letting on.

"What? Can't heroes come check on their favorite Protegés?" Captain Atom asked with a smile, but Claire sent him a tight-lipped one in response.

He sighed, and his face dropped.

"You haven't been at the Cave... The Team's worried about-"

"Tell 'em I'm fine." She interrupted him bluntly. "There's no reason for me to be there right now."

"Look, if Kid Flash is the problem, I talked to Flash and-"

Claire's tired gaze hardened, and she scowled. "I don't want to talk about him right now." She seethed.

Captain Atom turned away from her vicious gaze and glanced at her family. Cyrus and Candice looked away, and Cami glared at her breakfast.

"Fine." The Leaguer sighed and stood up. "There's actually one more reason why I'm here. I meant to tell you last week, but I got called away. The League had a meeting for new recruits, and Batman and Canary vouched for you..."

Claire took a step back and shook her head as Captain Atom continued.

"Claire... you're gonna be a member of the Justice League."

Pin drop silence followed before a breathless laugh pushed past Claire's lips.

"Me? In the Justice League?" She took a slow breath and looked down at her hands.

"Me, in the Justice League." She whispered to herself before looking back up at everyone else, biting her lower lip in thought.

"What about the others? Are they in too?" She asked, but Captain Atom let out a quiet 'no.'

After a short moment, she exhaled and shook her head slightly.

"Then, I-I can't. I can't leave the Team. They need me."

Captain Atom's eyes widened, her parents gasped.

"Claire, are you sure? This has been your dream forever! Think about what you're doing." Cami stood up with her hands on the dining room table.