Usual Suspects

WASHINGTON, D.C.

December 30, 09:16 EST

"The Justice League was formed for two reasons." Superman began, standing before a crowd of tourists, reporters, and politicians in front of the League's public headquarters, the Hall of Justice, with the League themselves standing behind him. "First, as an acknowledgment that no single individual, no matter how powerful, can solve all the world's problems alone."

The sun shined down on the Hall, lightly covered in snow from earlier days as he continued.

"And second, to uphold the values of truth, liberty, and justice." He smiled a bit to himself, "That last one's even in the name."

The crowd broke out into a chorus of laughs, and cameras flashed when he turned to his right at the heroes stationed there. "These five heroes have sworn to uphold those values."

Inside the Hall, the team, plus their newest recruit, Raquel or Rocket when she's in her hero persona, watched the outside exchange on the big screen with keen and eager eyes. All except Claire, who gazed at the feed with a slight frown, softly tapping her foot on the ground.

"You are watching live coverage of the Justice League's induction of its five newest members." Cat Grant announced, appearing in the camera with a broad smile. "Looks like the entire League has shown up to welcome the new blood." The camera panned from the very front of the League's lineup all the way to the back. "Everyone from Batman to Captain Marvel."

"Man, I'm glad they didn't kick Billy out." Wally declared and took a bite of his apple with one arm around the back of his and Claire's shared seat since they ended up literally fighting for it and could only compromise by splitting it. "And I love the fact that there's a ten-year-old kid on the League."

Raquel cut her eye at him and slammed her hands down on her hips, leaning forward a bit and raising an eyebrow. "There is?"

Claire rolled her eyes right before Robin slapped him on the back of the head. "Way to keep a secret, genius." He chastized as the ginger rubbed his head and glared at the smaller boy. "Hey, she's on the team now, right?"

Robin argued back, but Claire tuned them out, re-focusing on the induction.

"Superman is now handing out official League membership cards, starting with Doctor Fate," Cat announced with an eager edge to her voice. Artemis instinctively pulled Zatanna into a hug while Robin placed a single hand on her shoulder. "The Atom. Plastic Man. And Icon."

Raquel scoffed and glared at the screen. "You know, I was the one who convinced Icon to become a hero in the first place. I should be outside celebrating with him, not hidden away in here." She waved her hand dismissively before glancing at the other teens in the room. "No offense, though. You guys seem cool."

Claire shrugged, her eyes never even leaving the screen as she placed a handful of popcorn into her mouth. "I'm cool. They're... meh."

Raquel grinned at her before her eyes shifted to Kaldur, who could barely conceal his smile. She looked him up and down. "Well, I suppose there's an upside, too."

"Finally," Cat Grant spoke again, "Green Arrow welcomes his former protege Speedy, now known as Red Arrow, to this roster of heroes." The camera positions to the Mentor and former sidekick shaking hands with Arrow holding his membership card.

"Whoo! Way to go, Roy!" Wally cheered, pumping his fist into the air and knocking some of Claire's popcorn out of her bucket with his outburst. Kaldur's smile got a little larger. "At last, he has his wish."

Robin laughed, "The first of us to make it. No one will call him a sidekick anymore. Right, Claire?"

The blonde in question smiled and nodded, "Yeah, I'm really happy for 'em."