THREE

Brenda's gorgeous face greeted my eyes on waking. Her smile mesmerizing. She looked dashing in her pink gown and natural hair rolled in a burn.
A sizzling cup of coffee stood on my bedside table with my name on it. I loved coffee in sickness and health.

I took a sip before responding to  my wife's greetings.
She laughed acknowledging my addiction. Brenda was the best wife anyone could have. I squeezed her in a hug until she freed herself from my embrace.

         "Get hold of your self preacher." She joked.

I traced the curves of her face, lifting her chin to kiss her. She shyed away. Her features changed abruptly. Right there, I knew there was trouble.

         "What's going on?" I asked.

         "Our friend Femi is in the living room." Her eyes plastered on her palms.
I sensed the nervousness in her voice and held her close to me.

         "You need to cut his excesses, its just 7am, and he barged in here like he owns this house."
I shuffle out of bed, threw on my bathrobe and walked into the living room.

          Femi was seated on the dining table devouring our breakfast, a headphone over his ears, his back facing me.
His body moved to the rhythm of whatever he was listening to.

I cleared my throat to get his attention but he ignored me. A wave of hand maybe would reset his far gone mind.
Yet that didn't work either for his eyes were closed.  So I tapped his shoulder and he almost jumped out of his skin.

           "Don't be creeping up on me like that man!" He barked.

           "Whoa!  Easy dude! You can't just stomp in here yelling  in my house!" I cautioned, my voice rising. He rolled his eyes and sat back down.

         "To what do I owe this early morning visit?" My foot shoveled me to a chair across him.   
        "I need a cut from this church thing. This was my idea before you stole it from me!"
The venom in his voice was poisonous enough to kill immediately. 

      "Have you been getting high?" I asked, my eyes searching his face.   

      "Mind your own business and go get some of those offering and tithe money you got stashed in there. Add some dollars too." His fingers were pointing at me now. "Also, for your information, I know of all those dollar donations channeled into your own personal bank account."

My eyes bulged in surprise, my mouth agape. 'How did he even know? Not even my wife knew of that account, how much more an outsider.'  

        "Surprised?" He snarled. His jaw munching my grilled chicken.

       Those donations were set up to help the youth scholarship program. The rich members in the church decided to create a committee of their own, and funded the scholarships themselves.
Even at that, the donations never stopped coming into my personal account. And I couldn't refuse a harvest from the vineyard.

     "What funds are you talking about?" I feigned ignorance.

He flashed an evil smile. Half of his face smiled while the other simmered in silent threats. He was like a two faced demon seeking to destroy my soul.

     "You would be too stupid to ask such question. It could open the Pandora box!" He shouted from the other side of the table, his fist landing on the table with a bang.

I stood to my feet involuntarily, Adrenaline shooting up my veins. The thumping of my heart could be heard across the room, as its vibrations rubbed violently against my rib cage.
A cold sweat was making its way to the pores of my skin. I reminded myself to stay in control in the face of my adversary.

         "I really don't know what you are talking about!" I denied again.
This time making myself scarce from his personal space. His weed blood shot eyes flashed me a series of fiery darts.
I stared back, gaining a bit of my dignity as we played the eye ball game.

         "Adrian, man, you really don't want us to wash our dirty linens in public. I really have nothing to loose, but you my guy, will loose a lot." He threatened.

       "I don't understand you Bro, I really don't get where you are going with these accusations." I tempered down my denials.

He caught onto my wavering defense and heaved a sigh, pushing the remaining  egg omelette that should have been my breakfast into his mouth.
I silently prayed he choked on it, as I laser focused my eyes on his greedy mouth.

      "Just bring out the money for the scholarship and share it with your brother. No one would even know about it. And mind you, I am not leaving, until I get some of that money. But, I'd prefer cash." His eyes stared me down, intimidating mine, swallowing up all my defenses.

Perplexed, I proceeded to mitigate the situation, grabbing a seat next to his... "Urm,..... Fems," I began, scratching my head. "You know we go way back man, lets try to work something out." I pleaded, watching him.

             "Nba! No can do." He said amidst stuffing my food in his mouth.

My hand flew up in exasperation. "Guy, I said I will holla later. But for now go home, I 'll try to wire something to you."
He shook his head defiantly. I couldn't understand how Femi could easily scuttle my life and plans easily, yet there were people who trembled in my presence.

         The church board couldn't know about those funds, a scandal was the last thing I needed right now.
All those blood sucking vampires on social media would latch on this, and never let go. Not now. Not ever.
I blinked as the word 'Embezzlement ' scrambled somewhere into my thoughts. I shook my head to flush the word out of my mind.

He sneered at me, a laughter broke out from his hate spewing mouth.
          "See, I got you now. Thought you were doing macho man for me." FYI, I know more of your secrets than you think, so you better keep your word." He cautioned.

        "Get out of my house this very minute!" Brenda's voice thundered across the room, Startling us both.
I turned to warn her to stay out of it. But she sat in her chair and stared at Femi who was now rattled by the force in her voice.
Brenda's history predated her. If you didn't get in her way, then she won't get on yours. Femi knew this, we both knew Brenda had more connections than most, including me.

      He adjusted his seat as he shuffled uncomfortably. I waited for him to respond, but his mouth suddenly went mute.
    "You heard her, please leave!" I suddenly found my guts. "I will no longer entertain harassing calls, threats and early morning or whatever morning barging into my house." I dictated.
      "Come to think of it, I believe I have been very reasonable with you, scholarships for your children, your house paid for and even a business for you and your wife. Yet you have refused to leave my family and I alone. Stay away Fems, at least for now, stay away."
He stood there and watched me bewildered. Without another word, he picked up his phone from the table and exited my house.

         I bunched my fists and punched the table, the contents fell on the floor, initiating multiple clanging noises in the room.
The tea cups smashing as gravity pulled them to the ground. I ignored them, making my way out of the room.
From the corner of my eyes, I spotted Brenda's eyes digging holes into my body.

         "What's with the college funding?" she asked, still watching me.
My wife and I shared financial details but there were things I'd rather keep to myself.

           "Later babe, you know I have to be in church for the meeting." I answered, shoveling my self out of the room.

She didn't follow me but later that night, I would sure answer for my sins, Brenda will make sure of that.