TWENTY FIVE

UNIQUE

It was already making news that Pastor Adrian was missing. And his church members robbed at gun point during a live church service. Scenes from the peaceful robbery filled the TV screen.
Nkasi and I stole nervous glances at each other.

        "Thank God we were not in church today." Nkasi exhaled.

         "I agree, we would have been robbed blind." I concurred.

          "But who even sings while robbing people and allowing themselves to be broadcasted live?"

We busted off laughing. "Madness on steroids!" Nkasi offered.

We giggled some more. "But that guys voice was sleek and slippery." I added.
My friend pointed at me, "You are on point! Check out the way he harmonized that offering song."

I agreed, nodding my head. "He was so good."

        "But, I am only worried about Pastor Adrian." Nkasi complained with a gloomy look on her face. "In this country, when they kidnap you like this, your life officially ends."

           "What if he was not kidnapped?" I suggested.

Nkasi shook her head, "No, it looks very much like a kidnap. Even his secretary thinks so."

I rolled my eyes. Anything Pastor Adrian would always be suspicious to me.

         "You don't believe me?" I asked, focusing on my friend. She shook her head. "No."

A weak smile graced my lips as I dwelt  on her gullibility. "When my suspicion comes to pass, I hope you apologize for doubting me."

        "Till then, lets wait for a favorable news." Nkasi pleaded.

The church robbery scene was on all live TV networks. The church even issued a statement regarding their senior Pastor's kidnap.
My friend and I sat in silence and watched people give eye witness report to the media.

        At about 6pm later that same day, the screen suddenly showed 'breaking news'. Pastor Adrian was all smiles and thankful to people who sought to reach help and even those who set resources in motion to find him.

I waved at my friend who gazed at me in shock. "Didn't I tell you it was all for show?"
Nkasi didn't respond but pinned her eyes on the screen. "What's important is that he had been released."
Right there on the screen, people started gathering. His media department kept capturing scenes of his activities since his release. The man even went ahead to pray for people who hailed his safe return.

A reporter called him. He quickly swirled to listen to what he had to say.

        "Do you not think this your freedom is sudden? You were kidnapped for less than six hours ago? What about people who think this is a joke?"

Quick red glow crossed his face and immediately vanished. "When I tell you that I serve a living God, I kid not. This is what only Him can do."

The reporter wanted to ask a follow up question, but pastor Adrian was having none of that. He moved into the crowd shaking hands of people who came to celebrate with him.
My phone tumbled in my hand as I kept tossing it back and forth between my palms.
The only suggestion in my head was to contact Jacob. I still found the whole kidnap thing highly suspicious.

           His phone rang couple of times before his voice came on. "Hey!" I shouted.

His voice sounded husky and deep. "Hey to you too. Long time."

I smiled and tried to feel him but distance was a barrier. "Saw the news."

            "Yea, about my Dad, right?"