NINE

PASTOR ADRIAN

          Brenda was sitting outside the front porch when I got home. She looked radiant with her ever warming smile.

          "Welcome dear." She greeted, her hands raised to give me a hug. I quickly ran into them for warmth against the cold that was about to come. To Emass, She gave a nod.

    Upstairs, She sat in her wheelchair, waiting for me to exit the bathroom. Still smiling, She urged me to sit next to her. After downloading her delicious fufu and okra soup, I waited to be crucified.

          Grabbing both of my hands, she sent her emotional connection to me. The flood of peace filled my heart and a soothing voice calmed me.

        "There is a cleanse coming, we need to be ready." She said. I didn't blink as I focused on her, waiting for the scolding part.

        "What happened today was a warning, which I know you acknowledged." She paused and searched my face for a sec.

         "Do you understand what I am saying?"

My head shook in response. And honestly, I had no idea what she was talking about. But Brenda, an empath, I knew she had my emotions checked already. And the truth won't be hidden from her for long.

Her eyes narrowed as she glanced at me. As if she was trying to find the right words to say. "Is there anything I need to know?"

I peeled my gaze away from her. I hated her open ended questions and I was too tired to go through with this interrogation.

When my eyes rested back on her, I answered her question with a simple shake of head.
We sat in silence a while longer before she spoke again.

         "Something is coming, I don't know if its good or bad. But it's coming. I just thought we should align completely with God, so our covering would stay intact.

Her head gently bowed before she spoke again.  "We just can't keep running from the power of God. I understand running a church isn't easy, but we must not be carried away by our own desires.

        "Hmm," I heard myself saying.

Even though I had become uncomfortable with what she was talking about, I just had to chip in my piece or she would think I wasn't paying attention.

        "And there is Jacob, his pure and effective vessel whom he had strategically placed in our lives. There's definitely a reason why God placed him here. She paused again. "Adrian, I think we must repent."

My head lifted in shock! Pulling my hands away from hers, my gaze mirrored the uncertainty on her face.

        "Repent from what exactly?" My voice rose.

        "From our sins!"

        "I don't have sins!" I blurted out, rising to my feet.

        "Adrian....." Her hands rose to pull me back to my seating spot. I flung them off, storming into the bathroom without remorse. It was rising in me again.

This thing that I had no definition for was pushing itself forward in my mind. I'd become agitated, angry and cursing off in the bathroom.

         "Adrian honey, are you alright?" Her voice called from behind the bathroom door.

At this point I was too gone to hear her pleas. I was struggling to keep my temper in check.

         "Adrian, please open the door!"