THIRTEEN

PASTOR ADRIAN

My body descended gradually into it's being as the glow returned. I watched it crisscross my body for the fifth time and sighed. I marveled at how whatever this was had taken over my life.

The clock chimed, startling me out of my day dreams. It was already twelve noon.
I stared at it aimlessly. My mind and thoughts had been distorted today that I couldn't even bring myself to counsel one person.

Lately, my mood had varied from cold to dark, it always felt as though my life continues to delve into darkness.

         In twenty four hours, I am to minister in a crusade in Enugu, but I hadn't even done one research in the scriptures. My vision faded for a second and refocused almost immediately. I wiped the pool of tears from my eyes. My life was gradually getting over.

             "Pastor?" Isaiah called. I'd forgotten that he was still on the phone. My mind zoomed out when I felt the glow come on. The phone almost fell off my hand as I scrambled to restrain my trembling fingers.

           "Yes, yes.  You were saying?" I asked, hoping he would remind me why I was on the phone with him in the first place.

             "Your 10 Am is here."

My eyes flashed at the Phone as I brought it to my face. "What 10 Am?"

The line went dead for a minute, but I could still hear his breathing.     

              "Erm... The 'Fives' are here." His voice announced.
My head went up and down as the information hit me. "Oh, okay. Let them in."

          It totally went out of my head that today was the meeting of the 'Fives', including me. These men were men who taught me the in and out of ministry. If not for our alliance, maybe the church wouldn't have grown this fast. 

They trooped into my office laughing and joking with each other. I watched the men who were who and who in church ministry take my hand one after the other.
The bulkiest of us all gripped me on the shoulder as I was about to sit back down.

           "You've been too scarce. What's going on?" He asked, bending his head to look into my face.

           "Nothing." I mumbled.

He released me and turned to the others.......

          "He says nothing bothers him, but we know that's a lie. And what do we say when we are worried?"

          "Talk to your brothers!" Everyone of them chorused, except me.

         Well aware of their eyes on me, I intentionally avoided their gazes. I picked up my phone and called my refreshment assistant.
The worker picked on one ring. Get everything on the list for the 'Fives'.
Soon the room was filled with drinks and snacks as our loud voices filled the room.

          Dr Wes who wasn't even a pastor but facilitates a church, watched me intently. "I hope you are prepared for our Enugu crusade."

I was about to tell him the truth but thought against it. "Yes, I'll be there."
He gave me a very scanty smile, "Because, I don't feel the vibe."

My face hardened at his words. "You are not even a pastor, so how could you possibly know what a spiritual vibe is?"

Dr Wes cleared his throat. "Yes, I am not a pastor but I have pastor's working for me in many churches I own. And I know a good spiritual vibe when I see one. Right now, I m getting none."

Before I could control the thing in me, I'd flared up, rushing at Dr Wes. He saw my swift move and ran into my bathroom. The others tried to hold me but I flung them away, sending screams and curses round the room.
My hands latched on the bathroom door and broke it with one squeeze. There he was, hiding inside the bathtub.