TWENTY FOUR

FEMI

Jela and I sat next to each other on isle nine of the sanctuary.
This was the first time I was entering this mega church auditorium. I'd been to Adrian's office severally but never here.

A sea of people surrounded us in something that looked like a football stadium. Ten thousand people? No kidding! They were not making it up.
In fact from my estimate there were more than ten thousand people inside. The rest of the crowd sat in different overflows.

         Music came on and Jela rose to the occasion, swinging from side to side.

         "Who even taught them how to dance?" I thought. It could never be Nara. She hated church like bitter leaf.

I enjoyed watching my daughter enjoy the atmosphere. Two ladies were leading the praise and worship concurrently. I listened and read the lyrics off the wide screen at the top of the stage.
Everyone seemed as though they were lost in some place, yet I felt nothing. The only thing that I reminisced about was my short tenure as a Pastor.
Although it was filled with trials and hardship, it still felt good being inside a church.

          Another guy stepped on stage and everywhere went wild. His voice was so melodious that I felt a shiver. No wonder people screamed when he took over the worship session.

Jela was still swinging slowly to the rhythm of the song before I realized she wasn't actually in sync with the rhythm.

Worried, I stole another glance at her, but this time she was visibly shaking.
Before I could even get off the comfort of my seat, my daughter had tumbled over to the other rows of chairs. I looked around in embarrassment.

        "Jela!" I screamed.

But she wasn't just the only one. It felt as though there was a wind that took people down mercilessly. I even saw some screaming and running out of the church. It was a downright commotion.

         As I raced to get to my daughter, A set of uniformed ladies, picked her lifeless body and dropped it in front of the church.
Seeing that she wasn't the only one, I held my peace. Whatever these people were up to today, I was determined to find out.
Nobody can come and use my daughter to do advertisement.

The young man whose voice boomed through the sound system didn't seem to back down. He raised more songs and at point he just spoke in tongues. 
At another time, he just stayed quiet while tears ran down his face. I continued to get the goosebumps, yet Adrian was yet to show face.
While everything was going on, I watched my boys weave through the crowds, strategically positioning themselves.

My mission was still on and nothing would thwart it. The ancient Nokia phone vibrated in my pocket. I checked the message to see they have secured the perimeter.
I instructed them to wait till I give the go ahead order. First I must made sure my daughter would be fine.

I shot my gaze at what was happening at the empty space by the altar. Women, men and children were  shaking, whimpering and screaming their lungs out.
Two women stood over Jela who was jerking violently under them. Troubled, I called one of the ushers who had 'Ask me' tag on her chest.

          "My daughter is out there. Do you know when they will release her?"

A faint smile crossed her face respectfully. "No body is holding her down there, but the power of God. When He releases her, she will walk back to her seat."

My mouth gaped at her explanation. Even though I was in ministry for a short period of time, I'd never understood the supernatural like the way the kind lady explained it to me.
A wave of worry tried to steal my peace, but I brushed it off. Maybe that was even a good thing.