TEN

UNIQUE

        Monday morning came too soon as I rushed into my casuals and found my way to Generation Christian Worship Center. Luckily for me, the man of God had just arrived, but there was a line. A very long one.

Slowly, I walked to the receptionist. She gave me a form to fill. There were so many names of counselors on the list.
I ticked Pastor Adrian's name. She nodded but warned me that it would be a long wait.

      "Just tell the pastor that Unique is here with the furnace. I m sure he'd be interested."

Receptionist lady gazed at me suspiciously and went about attending to other people.
I called her back. "If your Pastor knows that  I have been sitting here for ages without giving him this furnace package, I doubt you would have a job after that."

She hissed and looked at me sternly. "Sorry miss. But you can't come here and jump the line. Wait like everybody else!"

Joy scorned, pushing her name tag to my face. "Look all you want, I hide under the shadow of the most high. No evil can come near me!"

          I laughed mildly, taking very measured breaths. Gently, I took a seat by her desk and kept tabs on her, which made her paranoid and uncomfortable.
Numbers after numbers, I was still patiently waiting to see a man I didn't wish to see. If not for this useless furnace and the threat to my life, I would be in my bed sleeping and enjoying my vacation.

Shortly, I heard my number through the speakers. "Now serving Number 58'.

I pulled up my numb butt, and walked across the reception. Joyless Joy grudgingly gave me another form and pointed me towards a wide hallway.
I walked to another desk, this time a guy whose name tag splashed Isaiah was stationed behind the desk.

           "How may I help you ma'am?" He asked gently, flashing me very well organized set of white teeth.

My head voluntarily moved towards him. I scanned his appearance quickly, refusing to acknowledge his excellent  customers service capability.

           "Tell Pastor Adrian that Unique is here with the furnace."
His gaze fell and then widened. "Sure. Of course. Right away ma'am." I smiled, realizing that this one was more than a receptionist.

Before he could even put the phone down, he was already ushering me into his bosses office. "He'll see you now."

          Pastor Adrian was on his feet when I entered. "Where is it?" He growled.

I took a nice leather seat across his desk. His office was tastefully furnished. The man was living his life while I was running around, dealing with his demons.
I took out the spherical shaped furnace and dangled it in his face. He lifted his hands to grab it but I held it strong.

           "I will only give you this on one condition."

He nodded, salivating like one who had seen his favorite lump of meat. His Adam apple pushed up and down restlessly. I even caught his lips smacking without repentance.
At first, I thought it was my nice conservative flowery dress that roused him, only to see that it was something more sinister.

I took my eyes off him and looked at the object in my hand.

           "What is this exactly? And why does it mean so much to you?"

He sniffed, his eyes followed the object hungrily.

Taunting him, I made to put the furnace back inside my little purse that was hung over my shoulders. He growled angrily and almost jumped across the room for it.

           "Okay, okay." I raised my hand, signaling his patience was highly needed. "I will give it to you, but you have to tell me why you are so keen on getting your hands on this mere object."

He followed my pacing movement and rushed to grab it off my hand. I moved it away from him again, observing that he couldn't speak but growl.
The man  was yet to speak since I got into his office. All he wanted was what I had in my hand.

          "I am waiting. What is this?" I pointed to the object.

He opened his mouth to speak, a shriek came out and he quickly covered his mouth.
Glancing at the door and at me, he scribbled something on a piece of paper.

         "Please give it to me and I will tell you." I watched his pleading eyes and almost released the object to him.

Shaking the fog out of my head. I shouted,  "No!" As if someone was pulling my head to do their bidding. I knew it was that spherical egg like stuff.

          "Tell me first." I demanded.

His eyes almost melted my body in a deadly scowl. "Release it now!" He finally spoke.
His voice was deep and deadly. I'd never heard him speak that way. It was so terrifying that I backed away from him.

He clamped his mouth again, staring nervously at the door. He bent over and wrote. "Please, release it for your own sake and for everyone in this building."

            "Huh?" I looked up at him in shock. "Is that a threat?" I pointed at the paper.

He clasped both hands together as though saying a prayer. Immediately, I knew this man was battling with things stronger than strange.
I moved the thing in front of him and dropped it into his trembling hands. Immediately, the furnace came alive, glowing brightly in the room.

          Not waiting another second, he shoved it into his mouth and swallowed. Slowly, he passed out into his chair. I just stood there and waited. Seconds later, he opened his eyes and looked at me in horror.

          "What are you doing here?" His normal voice was back, but his eyes kept flashing to the door.

If I was shocked, I couldn't hide it. I suddenly wondered who I was speaking to few minutes ago.
Seeing that this person was the real Pastor, the original Pastor Adrian Abujan. I decided not to pester him about the furnace any longer.

Defeated, my foot paddled me to the door before I made a U turn. He was already in his chair looking dejected. Tears swarm in his beautiful brown eyes when he looked up at me.
My heart went out to him, ignoring the alarm in my head. 'This man almost killed you!' It reminded me.

           "I m sorry." He began.

But I waved him off, focusing on what was important.

         "Please don't come to my dreams anymore." I warned and walked away from his office.