TWENTY TWO

Nadine rubbed her eyes, clearly drowsy from the events of the night before

Nadine rubbed her eyes, clearly drowsy from the events of the night before. Braxton had come home pretty late, and she had been up completing work for the classes she was taking. She still hadn't told him that she was in school, and by the time he walked in and figured out what she was doing she thought it best to just come clean.

"Nadine?"

"Mhm?"

"What's all this?"

Nadine nervously scratched behind her ear and twisted her mouth to the side. His eyebrows were raised in anticipation of her answer.

Nadine got a good look at him during her silence, fully absorbing his 6'2 stature. He had recently gotten his haircut and his beard was groomed to perfection. He was dressed in a hoodie and grey shorts, with chains hanging from his neck and diamond studs glistening in his ears.

He had on his Cartier ring that was similar to hers, though his was much bigger. After their night at the carnival, Nadine and Braxton always greeted each other by bumping rings. Walking in tonight, he hadn't yet reached out his fist for them to do so, letting her know that something was off.

She noticed that his eyes were red and low, and he faintly smelled of weed. Braxton always made it a point to never come back to her drunk or high on any substances. He knew how hard it was to fight addiction, and he wasn't about to make it any harder on her by partaking in the behaviors she couldn't partake in. Sure, they drank a little to celebrate her birthday. Other than that, both of them generally stayed away from everything. He didn't mind giving that up for her.

Tonight was different, though. He came back acting as nonchalant and standoffish as he used to when they weren't as close, plus he was high. She felt by his vibe that he had been smoking and called Darius.

He answered just as she was gonna end the call. "Dina what's wrong?"

"Why you assume some wrong?"

"Cause it's damn near two in the morning which is evil nigga hours. So some gotta be up. That nigga over there?" He asked, referring to Braxton.

"Nigga I gotta name. Stop fuckin' wit' me," Braxton said lowly.

Darius kissed his teeth and Nadine spoke up before the two of them started arguing on FaceTime. Though Darius and Braxton were thick as thieves, they bickered like brothers do, oftentimes over silly things. "Yeah, he over here. Y'all went to go smoke?"

Darius grimaced but remained silent on his end. "Why you quiet? I thought I asked you some," Nadine added.

After another minute, Darius cracked. "Uh yeah we went-"

"Nigga..." Braxton ran a hand down his face, exasperated.

"I can't lie to my best like that bro and you know it. Plus you need to just talk to her," Darius sighed. Braxton simply walked over to Nadine's phone and ended the call.