THIRTY-FOUR

Small clammy hands pressed against her face, drawing Nadine out of sleep. Her eyes fluttered open, only to be met with Braxton's. But it wasn't actually him, just a little girl who looked like him.

"Mommy's finally awake," she giggled, pressing a kiss to Nadine's forehead. Her lips were just like Nadine's full, two-toned round ones. That's where the similarities between their features ended, and other than that she looked just like Braxton. From the shade of her skin, the darkness of her eyes, the width of her nose.

She was his child. No, she was theirs.

Nadine sat up at the realization. His--her-- their daughter looked at her confusedly. "Who are you?"

The little girl giggled again, showing her missing teeth. "Mommy's acting confused. Daddy, come in here!" Nadine couldn't place the tinge of accent lacing the girl's words.

"Asani don't be calling me in here for nothin'." Braxton yelled, walking in.

He was even more handsome than she remembered. His beard was full and perfectly trimmed framing his dark, chiseled face. His hair was a bit grown out, but the curls suited him well. He wore nothing but a hoodie and a shiny watch, one of his go to outfits.

As soon as Braxton smiled, Nadine's breath left her chest.

"You--you're here?"

"See, Daddy? I think Mommy may have aneesta."

"You mean amnesia?" he laughed, making his way towards Asani and tickling her. The little girl's laugh sounded just like her own, soft and musical.

Nadine stared at the both of them, mirror images of each other. "Who-- what..." she could barely form the questions that raced through her mind.

Braxton came and sat next to her, pulling her in close. Asani joined them and planted herself right in the middle, snuggling up to her. Nadine cleared her throat and began moving away as instinct told her to do. She was still confused as to who the child was and how she was here with her and Braxton.

Braxton noticed her discomfort and frowned. "Babygirl."

"Yes, Daddy?"

"I think maybe Mommy do have amnesia."

Asani giggled and climbed on Nadine's lap. She tensed up, but Braxton held her hand for strength. The small gesture calmed her racing heart and she faced the girl sitting in front of her.

"That's okay, I can help! Mommy, I'm Ayesha Asani Wright, but everyone calls me Asani. Only you and Bambam call me Sani. Bambam is my little brother; he's 2 and I'm 7."

"Girl you ain't no 7," Braxton cut in.

"Almost! I'm in 1st grade and I'm super smart. Daddy says I get that from you, Mommy." Asani hugged her and smiled, her cheeks puffing up just like Nadine's did when she smiled. The sight made her eyes water and she fought back tears.

"My favorite color is purple and I wanna be a superhero princess when I grow up. I like chocolate, but you don't let me have it all the time. My favorite food is..." she tapped her chin like she was thinking. When she remembered, her eyes lit up. "Noodles!"

"Do you remember now?" Hope and pride beamed through her.

For the first time, Nadine reached out and touched her daughter. Her daughter. Nadine couldn't believe that she had a child-- two even.

"I do," she lied. Nadine didn't remember anything at all, but she didn't want to disappoint Asani. She wanted to protect her happiness, her smile, her laugh, the way she hugged Nadine tightly. Asani was the most perfect, beautiful little girl that Nadine could have imagined.