FORTY

Nadine took a deep breath one last time before entering Braxton's room.

Technically it was her room, the one she stayed in before she left--was taken-- she didn't know what to call it. Currently, she didn't have the words, or the capacity, to talk about the traumas she had survived during the time she was gone. Throughout the few hours since she came back, she had told Raegan that she'd talk about it when she was ready-- whenever that would be.

Instead, she begged her friend to explain everything that had happened after her disappearance, and despite Raegan's protests, she obliged. Raegan worried that the sheer drama of it all might overwhelm her, but Nadine countered, claiming that she needed more details before talking to Braxton.

For the next hour, her jaw was on the floor.

Nadine couldn't explain how badly Lorena's deception hurt. She essentially signed Nadine's death sentence to protect herself, all over a secret, all over a man. If this were the streets, Nadine would understand her behavior. But they were friends-- Nadine had even called her a  sister at one point, had even killed someone to protect her.

Knowing Lorena was dead evoked a feeling in Nadine that she couldn't quite place, emotions she was actively shoving down beneath the surface. She couldn't tell if she was supposed to grieve her friend or rejoice in the death of the liar who started this whole mess.

Not even to mention what it must have taken for Braxton to kill someone he loved so deeply. She didn't want to view him in that way-- as a murderer. But it was the reality of things; it was the basis of how they had even met in the first place. She wanted to believe that he wasn't capable of doing so, but she just couldn't tell.

To avoid getting lost in a pit of her thoughts, she put the thought out of her mind for now until she could make sense of it all.

Then there was the issue of Darius. She felt her heart crack in half after hearing how Darius set Braxton up, causing Zyaire to be left all alone at the police station. They were all fiercely protective of Zy, and imagining her facing off dozens of cops with their guns drawn made her angry, afraid. The police had a reputation for shooting first and asking questions later, and it was only a miracle that they both made it out alive.

She never imagined that Darius would put Zy in that position willingly, but regardless, it happened. And both Zyaire and Braxton were living with that trauma.

Nadine wanted all of the details of the trial, but Raegan put their little catch-up session on pause. "You think I don't know what you doin'?"

"Whatchu mean?"

"You askin' all these questions to stall until he fall asleep so you don't have to talk to him tonight."

"Nuh uh," Nadine shook her head, her cheeks instantly feeling hot.

"You not foolin' nobody. You should know better-- he'll stay up all night waiting to talk to you," Raegan pointed a finger in her face. "We'll finish this up later. But for now, it's time to face your fears."

"Ain't nobody afraid," she said, sticking her chin out defiantly. In reality, Raegan had just read her to pieces.

"Mhm, I don't wanna hear it."

Nadine pouted and Raegan hugged her tightly. "It'll be fine. There will always be space in my bed should you wanna sleep here tonight... but I think I know where you'll end up," she winked, making Nadine roll her eyes.

"You crazy."

Now she was waiting outside of the door, scared to enter what was simultaneously his room and her old one-- a balance of the peacefulness of the past and the turmoil of the present.