SIX

Braxton let his people deal with Titus until he got to the location they would hold him

Braxton let his people deal with Titus until he got to the location they would hold him. But first, he had to deal with Nadine.

She sat silently and crossed her arms as he coasted down the highway. He was slightly pissed off after catching her on the job earlier. He wanted to not care that she was putting someone else in her mouth, but it didn't sit right with him. In his mind, her mouth belonged to him and only him, whether she was a hoe or not.

"Talk to me," he said lowly.

He didn't want to take her to his own place because not many got the privilege of going there. Nadine was special but she had to earn her way into his house.

After a minute she hadn't said anything and he felt himself gripping the steering wheel even tighter. He was tired of her being reluctant to share information when by now she should have been used to it. The silent game and her glares were getting old. She had to know that by now it was too late for all that.

Braxton didn't want to yell at her because he already saw that that didn't work. He took the next right and waited for her to say something.

"He said they were looking for me," Nadine whispered. She always felt unsafe but this time it actually felt real. The threat of dangerous men coming after her scared her more than usual, probably because she didn't know the extent of what everyone else knew. She couldn't decide if Titus was simply lying or if there were actually people that were looking for her.

"Who?"

"I'on know. Probably whoever work for Carti," she sighed. Her elbow rested on the door as she looked out of the window. Suddenly she felt herself getting tired as the exhaustion finally settled in. Before she could let her drowsiness take over, she remembered how nasty she felt. A toothbrush and another shower was the only thing that would make her happy right now.

Though there was more information she could have given him, she wouldn't say anything unless he asked for it. The more she kept to herself, the more she could use as leverage.

Braxton didn't want to think that there were more people coming after Nadine. After all, she was at best a high-class hoe. He understood why most of the town knew her to be one of Titus' girls, but there was something weird about everybody trying to gun for her. If she was in danger like he had heard from his part of the streets anyway, she had to stay lowkey.

Both of them did.

"Is that all?"

"Yes."

He rolled into another part of town that Nadine thought to be foreign. The way he drove, he must have known his way around the whole world. "Stop staring at me," he mumbled and continued to drive. Her eyes darted away as she picked at her fingernails.

The car stopped in front of a small one-story home surrounded by trees. The neighborhood was quiet but it wasn't particularly safe. Nadine watched a few people milling around the sidewalks. Someone's garage was open, and music blasted out from it. The sounds made her headache worse, and all she wanted to do was go home.