TWENTY-NINE

Braxton held the smooth panther ring in his hand, flipping it around a few times before pocketing it

Braxton held the smooth panther ring in his hand, flipping it around a few times before pocketing it. He had long since stopped wearing his own that matched, and now only carried Nadine's around. Seeing it kept him going, kept him strong in his mission to make things right.

He had been so mean to her, and it was all for nothing. The scene of her tears flowing freely as he degraded her in the worst possible way flashed through his mind.

Raegan tried to warn him. She tried telling him over and over again that Nadine wouldn't--couldn't-- be the one responsible for informing the police on how he and his men were moving. If only he had listened, before believing Lorena so easily.

He strode into the backroom for the meeting Darius had called. These days he let Darius take more responsibility, more leadership, because all he could focus on was finding Nadine and making things right.

Inside, Darius was talking to a few of their higher ranking people, those who oversaw whole operations in nearby cities. Braxton assumed this meeting was to inform them on what was going down; they didn't need anyone not trusting their leadership, doubting them, or flipping to protect their own interests.

As soon as he entered, the chatter in the room quieted down and Darius cleared his throat. Most people nodded their heads at him, a few stood to give him dap, then the meeting started.

"Preciate y'all fa' comin' out," he started, rubbing his hands together. "Know some of you niggas'd rather be out here suckin' and fuckin', but I'm glad y'all could make time out ya busy schedules to talk business." Most people laughed or chuckled at Darius' bit of humor. He always knew how to draw people in like that, rather than how Braxton was more distant and straight to the point.

Darius started by updating them all on the shipments coming in. Aside from the one time where the police had shown up at the warehouse distribution, they had been in the clear. Way more safety measures had been taken: increasing guns, only a few select people handling transactions, adding three new spots to prevent predictability, to name a few. Some of the men in this very room were irritated at how much additional work they had to do because of the new precautions. But moving carefully while shit was hot meant saving money and lives, according to Darius.

"As far as the snitch, she ain't been found yet. But we got folks lookin' for her." Immediately, Braxton felt the tension in the room.

Darius still believed that Nadine was the one who had sold them out. Braxton hadn't yet informed him of Lorena's involvement. He had been so mute and numb since it all happened, he barely thought of telling Darius or Raegan.

Not everyone knew of Braxton's involvement with "the snitch". But the few who did sent some nervous looks his way. This only steeled his resolve to really clear her name.

At the mention of that, Braxton spoke for the first time during the meeting. "Y'all ain't gotta worry about no damn snitch. Handled that myself," was all he said, fingers gripping the golden ring in his pocket. He shouldn't have had it; it should have been on Nadine's finger. Guilt bit at him, thinking of how it brought him comfort despite him not feeling like he deserved it.